"Berlin is a city of innovation"
The Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award has been awarded since 1992. The aim of the competition: to present and promote future and marketable developments by start-ups, established companies or networked research institutions. This year the number of applications was 221, which is higher than ever before. 69 submissions alone came from partnerships of science and industry. On 27 November the winners will be announced in Livestream. Ramona Pop, Mayor of Berlin and Senator for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises, in an interview with Brain City Berlin.
Ms. Pop, what characterizes the innovative spirit of Berlin?
Berlin is a city of innovation and is strong in the future sectors: As the undisputed start-up capital of Germany, the trends of digitization are conceived and promoted here. Practically all DAX and numerous international corporations have their digital subsidiaries located in Berlin. The Joint Innovation Strategy with Brandenburg (InnoBB 2025) has focused for years on sectors that will be particularly in demand after the crisis such as the health, energy and mobility sectors. Here we have particularly strong players in business and science. The lessons of the virus are: To promote crisis resilience and digitization and tackle the decarbonization of industry in good time in order to combat the climate crisis. The Berlin economy will be able to offer solutions for precisely this, both to the rest of the country and to the world. The mixture of creativity and science, of training and research and companies that use the knowledge produced here for new products and business models makes Berlin a city of innovation.
The transfer of knowledge between research and business is a key strength of Brain City Berlin. To what extent does this interdisciplinary networking inspire the innovative strength of the capital region?
The networking of research and business is essential for the innovative strength of the capital region, and in this way, different perspectives are thought out together. Transfer approaches and joint projects, which are created in particular as part of the joint cluster work and also the Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award, activate the existing research and development potential along the entire value chain. We are moving forward and are expanding the various locations for networking and development. In this way start-up centres, incubators and accelerators – for example in science and technology parks, companies and scientific institutions – have a permanent place in our city.
This year the number of submissions for the Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award is particularly high. 69 submissions alone come from partnerships between business and science. What do you attribute that to?
It is wonderful that we have received more applications than last year. 69 submissions from partnerships between business and science alone shows that the approaches to strengthening knowledge and technology transfer introduced in the master plan for the Industrial City Berlin and in the joint innovation strategy are becoming more and more visible and are having a greater impact. It will certainly be a great challenge for the jury to select the winners from among all the submissions.
One of the objectives of the Joint Innovation Strategy of the Berlin and Brandenburg is to support regional actors in meeting the challenges of tomorrow in an innovative way. What are the future challenges for the business and science region Berlin?
The business and science region Berlin is currently still facing the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic. In the medium and long term, however, the focus will be on other challenges. These include future-related topics such as digital health, clean technologies and intelligent transport systems. Furthermore, there are many other challenging tasks beyond the cluster boundaries in terms of digitization, sustainability or professional development. Technology fields such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) or the Internet of Things (IoT) are rapidly growing in economic importance as cross-sectional areas. So, there is a lot ahead of us. With innoBB 2025, we have created a very good basis to address these issues and to put the economic development of the capital region on an even more solid footing.
The current coronavirus pandemic is probably the greatest challenge for business, science and society in Berlin at this time. Does the crisis force the stimulation of the innovative strength of the region?
Right now we are seeing: A crisis like the current coronavirus pandemic is not only a major challenge for society as a whole, but it also creates innovation. With the Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award, we want to draw attention to companies that are coming up with intelligent solutions for the challenges of our times. Support for local companies during the coronavirus crisis, sustainable ideas for generating renewable energies and quick solutions in administration - that is how diverse and up-to-date this year's submissions for the Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award 2020 are. They strengthen the economic power, create sustainable jobs and are proof of the lively innovation culture in the capital region.
What significance do alliances like the Berlin University Alliance and the non-university network “Berlin Research 50” have for the innovative strength of Berlin?
Alliances such as the BUA or the non-university network “Berlin Research 50” are important cooperation platforms for the international science metropolis of Berlin. They have set themselves the long-term goal of transforming Berlin into an integrated research area and the leading science location in Europe and to act as a platform for dialogue between research, politics and society. This offers great opportunities for the innovative strength of Berlin, for example with regard to joint structures and strategies in the areas of spin-offs or internationalization and in the implementation of an effective and efficient transfer of knowledge and technology.
If you could wish for something for the future of the Science location Berlin, what would it be?
For the future, I would wish for an even more strongly integrated research area for the Science location Berlin, comprising universities, industry and civil society. The city looks back on a varied history as an industrial and scientific metropolis and now has the unique opportunity to play among the world’s best with an excellent ecosystem. We are already on the right track. The Nobel Prize awarded to Emmanuelle Charpentier from the Berlin Max Planck Institute shows what is possible.
- Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award 2020: the winners
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] the climate reality project/usplashFacts & EventsAlready for the third time the international conference "I, Scientist" takes place in the Brain City Berlin. From 20 to 21 September 2019, students…→
Register now! "I, Scientist" - Gender Conference for Women Scientists | 25.07.2019
- Facts & Events ©Martin Sanchez on UnsplashFacts & EventsThe pandemic containment measures for Berlin universities will be continued until January 31, 2021. The Senate Chancellery - Higher Education and…→
Coronavirus – What is happening in the Brain City Berlin?
- Startup [Translate to English:] alvaro reyes on unsplashStartupOb Kniffelspiel oder Sudoku – Gehirntraining gibt es bereits seit Jahrzehnten. Das Berliner Start-up NeuroNation bietet es per Web oder App. Das…→
Fitness training for the brain | 21.05.2019
- Insights ©ESCP EUROPEInsights29.10.2019 | Professor Andreas Kaplan is a Brain City Berlin ambassador and Rector of ESCP Europe Business School Berlin. The economist's research is…→
"We have to be able to take everyone on the journey."
- Insights ©DexLeChemInsightsLaunching a start-up while at university? Sonja Jost's success shows the way. Together with three fellow students, she founded DexLeChem after…→
"Bringing new knowledge to the market is very important to us"
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Fotowerk – AdobeStockFacts & EventsThree new health care courses will start in the winter semester 2020/21 at the Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin (ASH Berlin).→
Apply now - 3 new health degree courses at the ASH Berlin
- Facts & Events ©ADN BroadcastFacts & Events31.10.2019 | For the second time, a Falling Walls Lab was held in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, on 21 September 2019. The event was organized by…→
Brain City Ambassador organizes 2nd Falling Walls Lab in Tunis
- Insights © HTW Berlin / Nikolas FahlbuschInsightsTeaching is currently only taking place online. Guest author Dr Dorothee Haffner, professor for Museology at HTW Berlin - University of Applied…→
Guest contribution: "Online teaching is more engaging than I thought"
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin Pressestelle / DahlFacts & EventsThe coronavirus pandemic carries many risks, not only for individuals, but also for society. But how are the risks being perceived? And how are people…→
Risk perception in the coronavirus crisis: a survey from TU Berlin
- Insights ©Credit Silke Oßwald/FMPInsightsBrain City interview: Professor Dr. Volker Haucke, Director at the Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für Molekulare Pharmakologie (FMP) and Professor of…→
In the balancing act between detail and overall concept
- Insights ©Ivar Veermäe / Centre for EntrepreneurshipInsightsBrain City Berlin is the German capital of start-ups. Many young companies have successfully been founded through Berlin and Brandenburg based…→
"Society in particular benefits from high-tech start-ups" - university survey enters its third round
- Insights [Translate to English:]InsightsScience and cultural heritage, freely accessible to everyone at any time on the Internet: The Open Access movement is promoting a paradigm shift in…→
Knowledge for All - Open Access in Berlin | 28.03.2019
- Facts & Events ©Samuel HenneFacts & EventsThe exhibition MACHT NATUR at STATE Studio in Berlin focuses on the discomfort that many of us experience when faced with human intervention in…→
MACHT NATUR: an exhibition that asks questions
- Insights [Translate to English:] HZB/M. SetzpfandtInsightsIn these times of fake news and pseudo-scientific publications, many people find it difficult to distinguish legitimate from dubious content. Only 54%…→
"Science needs to make us curious" | 11.06.2019
- Insights HTW BerlinInsightsAn interview with Brain City Ambassador Prof. Dr. Kai Reinhardt. On October 28, he will be speaking at the second SpreeTalk at HTW University of…→
“The pandemic has been a catalyst for digitalization”
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin PressestelleFacts & Events“Berlin Institute for the Foundations of Learning and Data” (BIFOLD) is the new organisation that the Berlin Big Data Center (BBDC) and the Berlin…→
AI Beacon for Berlin: Millions in funding from the German Federal Government and State of Berlin
- Facts & Events ©BIT6Facts & EventsThe Coronvirusa crisis poses great challenges, especially for small and medium-sized companies. On 20 May, scientific experts will speak all day in…→
TRAO – digital transfer day on the 20th of May
- Insights dentalXr.aiInsightsdentalXrai is the first dental start-up to be spun off the Charité. It was launched via the accelerator of the Berlin Institute of Health (BIH). We…→
Artificial intelligence in the fight against tooth decay
- Facts & Events ©visitBerlin/Sarah LindemannFacts & EventsReal-world Laboratories are bringing scientists together with practitioners to develop solutions to the questions of tomorrow in an experimental…→
The "StadtManufaktur Berlin" Exhibition: experiments to create a city worth living in
- Facts & Events ©Mario Gogh/UnsplashFacts & EventsStart-ups arising from research being done at Berlin's universities are of major importance for the region's economy. As the “Gruendungsumfrage 2020”…→
Academic start-ups strengthen Berlin's economy
- Insights [Translate to English:] Tim LandgrafInsightsBrain City Berlin is considered one of the leading locations in Germany working on artificial intelligence. About 30% of all German AI companies are…→
Fish, bees, and self-driving cars | 07.06.2019
- Facts & Events ©IFAFFacts & Events22.11.2019 | Interdisciplinarity is a central characteristic of science and research in Berlin. This was most recently proven when the Berlin…→
IFAF Berlin marks 10th anniversary
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] TU Berlin/DahlFacts & EventsBerlin is one of the most exciting centers for science and research in the world. Brain City Berlin is characterized by international and…→
Brain City Berlin: in free dialog with the world | 13.05.2019
- Facts & Events © Beuth Hochschule / Karsten FlügelFacts & EventsBuildings, lecture halls and laboratories in the Brain City Berlin are currently closed to students, teachers and researchers due to the corona…→
COVID-19: Berlin universities are helping
- Insights Gudrun Piechotta-HenzeInsightsIn time for the 2020/21 winter semester, ASH, the Alice Salomon University of Applied Sciences Berlin, is launching the first bachelor's degree to…→
"We have to completely rethink nursing!" | 27.09.2019
- Insights © Brain City BerlinInsightsResearch results quickly and easily accessible online: The Open Access movement is campaigning for a paradigm shift in the field of publications and…→
Open Access: free knowledge for everyone
- Facts & Events Berlin Science WeekFacts & EventsWith more than 200 events and over 500 speakers, this year’s Berlin Science Week is bigger than ever before. However, the 2020 edition of the…→
Berlin Science Week 2020 – Digital and Global
- Insights © AW Creative on UnsplashInsightsJuggling a degree course or teaching with the extra burden of the care of children or other family members is not an easy task. Both students and…→
From “Zoo School” to “Maternity Protection”: family-friendly universities
- Facts & Events MPG © Hallbauer und FiorettiFacts & EventsThe Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has given top Berlin researcher Professor Dr Emmanuelle Charpentier and American Professor Dr Jennifer A. Doudna…→
2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry goes to Emmanuelle Charpentier: Congratulations!
- Facts & Events ©Paul Hahn PhotographyFacts & EventsBerlin's Senator for Economics, Ramona Pop, and Brandenburg's Minister of Economic Affairs, Jörgs Steinbach, have once again announced the search for…→
2020 Innovation Award: Apply by 22th June!
- Facts & Events Fotocredit: #MIT Covid-19 ChallengeFacts & EventsApply for the #MIT Hackathon "Beat the Pandemic II" until 26 May! Experts from different fields are sought.→
"Beat the Pandemic II": Join the MIT COVID-19 Challenge
- Talent [Translate to English:] Dr. Sana Amairi Pyka | Falling Walls Lab TunisTalentBrain City Berlin interviewed Dr. Sana Amairi Pyka, who hosted the first Falling Walls Lab in Tunis. The winner will participate at the Falling Walls…→
Brain City Ambassador organizes Falling Walls Lab in Tunis | 07.11.2018
- Facts & Events © ESMT Berlin/Fotografin: Annette KorrolFacts & EventsAlso a great outcome for Brain City Berlin: Özlem Bedre-Defolie, Associate Professor of Economics at the ESMT Berlin international business school has…→
On the trail of dominant platforms: ESMT Professor receives around 1.5 million euro in grant funding | 11.09.2019
- Insights ©fotografixx - istockphoto.comInsightsIn the digital age learning behaviour changes profoundly. It is student-centered and technology rich. As a member of the Erasmus+ funded project…→
Exploring the future of learning
- Facts & Events © Futurium/Ali GhandtschiFacts & EventsFor all those who have not yet planned anything specific for the weekend - here are a few tips from the Brain City editorial team combining leisure…→
5 tips: Weekend in Brain City Berlin
- Insights ©BIH|Thomas RafalzykInsightsAt the Berlin Institute of Health (BIH) the main focus is on "translational research" - the transfer of findings from the research lab into clinical…→
“There are now many great female scientists, achieving great things”
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Marcel/UnsplashFacts & EventsBe it the greater mouse-eared bat, the brown long-eared bat, the serotine bat or the common noctule – bats feel particularly at home in Berlin. 18 of…→
Until 8th of March: Bat Capital seeks hobby researchers
- Insights [Translate to English:]InsightsSpace exploration is experiencing a revolution thanks to commercialization by such companies as Elon Musk's SpaceX. But did you know that more facets…→
From Berlin to the moon: the space industry is booming in Berlin | 03.09.2018
- Facts & Events left: TU Berlin, Pressestelle / right: Marten KörnerFacts & EventsSeveral researchers in Brain City Berlin have recently received top-class prize grants. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prizes were awarded to Prof. Dr…→
7 research awards for Berlin scientists
- Insights © Pocky Lee on UnsplashInsightsMatches in front of empty stadiums, virtual marathons, and many postponed events. Brain City Ambassador Professor Gabriele Mielke is tracking the…→
"Now is the time for innovators"
- Insights [Translate to English:] David Ausserhofer/IGBInsightsBerlin is one of the most water-rich cities in Germany. But climate change does not stop at the Havel, Spree or Wannsee either. Dr. Michael Hupfer is…→
"We're trying to take a look into the future." | 04.07.2019
- Insights ©Matthias PicketInsightsDr. Anne Schreiter, Managing Director of the German Scholars Organization (GSO), reveals in the Brain City interview what alternative career…→
"Science is not just about research"
- Facts & Events © Falling Walls FoundationFacts & EventsWhether it is Berlin Science Week, Long Night of the Sciences or the Greentech Festival - the Berlin Science Year 2020 promises to be at least as…→
Brain City Berlin 2020: 10 Event Highlights
- Insights Fotocredit: Ortner & Ortner / SiemensInsightsSiemensstadt 2.0 is a place of the future. The Berlin Senate has approved 9.9 million euros for the first research project "Electrical Drive…→
Siemensstadt 2.0: Research and industry closely linked
- ©vdoEvery year, just before Christmas evening, we ask ourselves full of hope the same question: Will there be White Christmas? According to the Berliner…→
Whether green or white: We wish you a Merry Christmas!
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Florian ReimannFacts & EventsThe future of the city: what could it look like? That's what Berlin's CityLAB is busy thinking about and researching. The Berlin experimental…→
Laboratory for the digitalization of Berlin: CityLAB opens | 13.06.2019
- Insights ©Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin/Matthias HeydeInsightsThe courses offered by the HUWISU Summer University are varied and exciting, the target group is international: students from abroad who come to…→
When Berlin becomes one large seminar room ... | 15.08.2019
- Facts & Events ©Berlin Science Week 2019Facts & Events23.10.2019 | Over 350 top researchers from all over the world, more than 130 events, and a new format: the "Berlin Science Campus". Berlin Science…→
10 days dedicated to science: Berlin Science Week 2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] chris knight/unsplashFacts & EventsBerliners with foreign roots are extremely innovative. According to a short report by IW, the Cologne Institute for Economic Research, 16.1% of the…→
Berliners with a migration background especially inventive | 29.05.2019
- Facts & Events ©Futurium/David von BeckerFacts & EventsAlmost everyone's occupied with the future, because it's going to affect all of us. The Futurium, which opened yesterday in Brain City Berlin, invites…→
Creating public space for thinking in Brain City Berlin: the opening of the Futurium | 06.09.2019
- Wissen/Wissenschaft im Dialog/Chris LawtonHey, amateur and want-to-be scientists: On 14 and 15 October 2020, the Citizen Science Festival invites children, young people, and adults to take…→
Tip for autumn break: Do some research as part of the Citizen Science Festival
- Facts & Events shutterstock © andersphotoFacts & EventsBerliners win six high-ranking research awards: a total of five outstanding scientists received awards from the European Research Council. And Berlin…→
Six awards announced for Berlin scientists
- Facts & Events ©Marvin Meyer/UnsplashFacts & EventsMore students than ever before are expected to be enrolled at the colleges and universities in the Brain City Berlin by the winter semester 2019/20.…→
Start of the semester: 195,000 students expected | 17.10.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Peitz/CharitéFacts & EventsThe Brain City Berlin once again gets top-class new scientists: The medician and epidemiologist Prof. Dr. Dr. Sabine Gabrysch is the first female…→
First nationwide professorship for climate change and health in Berlin | 26.06.2019
- Insights ©Berlin Partner für Wirtschaft und TechnologieInsightsMany top-class researchers and scientists are being attracted to Brain City Berlin every year. The Dual Career Network Berlin helps partners of…→
Dual Career Network Berlin: getting a good start in Berlin
- Facts & Events Fu Berlin / Peter HirnselFacts & EventsBerlin is a cosmopolitan metropolis. People from more than 190 countries live and work in the city. More and more young, talented people who would…→
Berlin universities are extraordinarily international | 10.10.2019
- Insights [Translate to English:] Berlin University Alliance/Matthias HeydeInsightsTogether we are stronger. And also more successful. As the "Berlin University Alliance," the Technische Universität Berlin, the Freie Universität…→
Congratulations: The “Berlin University Alliance“ receives funding of the Excellence Strategy |19.07.2019
- Facts & Events UVB 2019 / André WagenzikFacts & EventsBrain City Berlin is considered one of the leading locations in Germany working on artificial intelligence. Berlin science is an important driver of…→
Accelerating the digital transformation: TU Berlin and business associations intensify cooperation | 02.10.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsIn the globally recognized QS University Ranking, Berlin's universities performed very well in many disciplines. They are 30 times among the top 50…→
QS World University Ranking 2019 - Berlin Universities are among the world's best in many disciplines | 21.03.2019
- Insights Anna Raysyan (private)InsightsBrain City Ambassador Anna Raysyan has been living in Berlin for 3,5 years now. She is a PhD student at the Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und…→
Guest Contribution: “Berlin likes the bold!”
- Insights [Translate to English:] Helena Lopes / UnsplashInsightsSend a digital lollipop or delicate fragrance notes via email or let the wind virtually blow against your face - research makes it possible. Learn…→
Experiencing the digital world with all senses | 18.06.2019
- Facts & Events LNDW/IrmischFacts & EventsThe Long Night of Sciences (Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften) has long been one of the highlights of the Brain City Berlin event calendar every June.…→
Long Night of the Sciences: this year as a podcast series
- Insights © hj barraza/UnsplashInsightsOur guest author Dr Barbara Schäuble is Professor for Diversity-Conscious Approaches in the Theory and Practice of Social Work at ASH Berlin and a…→
Guest contribution: A sudden change of course - classes moved online
- Insights [Translate to English:]InsightsThe literary scholar Dr. Betiel Wasihun was traveling for science. After stops in Heidelberg, Yale, and Oxford, it brought her to Berlin two years…→
“Berlin is a perfect location. Especially if you don’t want to pursue just a single avenue of scientific work.” | 12.08.2019
- Talent [Translate to English:] TU Berlin | U. DahlTalentThe International Post-Doc Initiative of the Technische Universität Berlin is aimed at female scientists from all over the world. As part of the TU…→
IPODI – TU Berlin funds international female scientists | 14.05.2018
- Talent ©Jordan KatzTalentAt the Brain City Summer Festival on 19 August, to which the now two-year-old campaign had invited together with the HTW Berlin University of Applied…→
Participate, network, develop visions for the future - the Brain City Berlin Summer Festival | 03.09.2019
- Facts & Events ©FMP/ Barth van RossumFacts & EventsUsing viruses against influenza, avian flu - and maybe soon also against Corona? An alliance of scientists from the Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für…→
Berlin research alliance develops influenza inhibitor
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] OttobockFacts & EventsThe last school day in Berlin is over. Finally summer holidays! But some students might get bored while swimming all day in the Havel or the…→
Clever throughout the summer holidays | 19.06.2019
- Insights Franziska SattlerInsightsIn the interview: Brain City ambassador Franziska Sattler on her series of events "Kaffeeklatsch mit Wissenschaft" (Talking Science over Coffee) at…→
"Science needs the trust of society"
- Insights [Translate to English:] Thomas Rosenthal - Museum für Naturkunde BerlinInsights660 million euros in 10 years: The Natural History Museum Berlin - Museum für Naturkunde Berlin receives financial support for the further development…→
Future of the Museum für Naturkunde Berlin | 14.01.2019
- Innovations [Translate to English:] Shutterstock/ Jacob LundInnovationsThe capital city fills almost half of the professorships with female scientists: 48 percent of the calls for professorships made by Berlin…→
Brain City Berlin – pioneering in equality issues | 10.07.2019