"Berlin is a city of innovation"
The Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award has been awarded since 1992. The aim of the competition: to present and promote future and marketable developments by start-ups, established companies or networked research institutions. This year the number of applications was 221, which is higher than ever before. 69 submissions alone came from partnerships of science and industry. On 27 November the winners will be announced in Livestream. Ramona Pop, Mayor of Berlin and Senator for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises, in an interview with Brain City Berlin.
Ms. Pop, what characterizes the innovative spirit of Berlin?
Berlin is a city of innovation and is strong in the future sectors: As the undisputed start-up capital of Germany, the trends of digitization are conceived and promoted here. Practically all DAX and numerous international corporations have their digital subsidiaries located in Berlin. The Joint Innovation Strategy with Brandenburg (InnoBB 2025) has focused for years on sectors that will be particularly in demand after the crisis such as the health, energy and mobility sectors. Here we have particularly strong players in business and science. The lessons of the virus are: To promote crisis resilience and digitization and tackle the decarbonization of industry in good time in order to combat the climate crisis. The Berlin economy will be able to offer solutions for precisely this, both to the rest of the country and to the world. The mixture of creativity and science, of training and research and companies that use the knowledge produced here for new products and business models makes Berlin a city of innovation.
The transfer of knowledge between research and business is a key strength of Brain City Berlin. To what extent does this interdisciplinary networking inspire the innovative strength of the capital region?
The networking of research and business is essential for the innovative strength of the capital region, and in this way, different perspectives are thought out together. Transfer approaches and joint projects, which are created in particular as part of the joint cluster work and also the Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award, activate the existing research and development potential along the entire value chain. We are moving forward and are expanding the various locations for networking and development. In this way start-up centres, incubators and accelerators – for example in science and technology parks, companies and scientific institutions – have a permanent place in our city.
This year the number of submissions for the Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award is particularly high. 69 submissions alone come from partnerships between business and science. What do you attribute that to?
It is wonderful that we have received more applications than last year. 69 submissions from partnerships between business and science alone shows that the approaches to strengthening knowledge and technology transfer introduced in the master plan for the Industrial City Berlin and in the joint innovation strategy are becoming more and more visible and are having a greater impact. It will certainly be a great challenge for the jury to select the winners from among all the submissions.
One of the objectives of the Joint Innovation Strategy of the Berlin and Brandenburg is to support regional actors in meeting the challenges of tomorrow in an innovative way. What are the future challenges for the business and science region Berlin?
The business and science region Berlin is currently still facing the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic. In the medium and long term, however, the focus will be on other challenges. These include future-related topics such as digital health, clean technologies and intelligent transport systems. Furthermore, there are many other challenging tasks beyond the cluster boundaries in terms of digitization, sustainability or professional development. Technology fields such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) or the Internet of Things (IoT) are rapidly growing in economic importance as cross-sectional areas. So, there is a lot ahead of us. With innoBB 2025, we have created a very good basis to address these issues and to put the economic development of the capital region on an even more solid footing.
The current coronavirus pandemic is probably the greatest challenge for business, science and society in Berlin at this time. Does the crisis force the stimulation of the innovative strength of the region?
Right now we are seeing: A crisis like the current coronavirus pandemic is not only a major challenge for society as a whole, but it also creates innovation. With the Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award, we want to draw attention to companies that are coming up with intelligent solutions for the challenges of our times. Support for local companies during the coronavirus crisis, sustainable ideas for generating renewable energies and quick solutions in administration - that is how diverse and up-to-date this year's submissions for the Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award 2020 are. They strengthen the economic power, create sustainable jobs and are proof of the lively innovation culture in the capital region.
What significance do alliances like the Berlin University Alliance and the non-university network “Berlin Research 50” have for the innovative strength of Berlin?
Alliances such as the BUA or the non-university network “Berlin Research 50” are important cooperation platforms for the international science metropolis of Berlin. They have set themselves the long-term goal of transforming Berlin into an integrated research area and the leading science location in Europe and to act as a platform for dialogue between research, politics and society. This offers great opportunities for the innovative strength of Berlin, for example with regard to joint structures and strategies in the areas of spin-offs or internationalization and in the implementation of an effective and efficient transfer of knowledge and technology.
If you could wish for something for the future of the Science location Berlin, what would it be?
For the future, I would wish for an even more strongly integrated research area for the Science location Berlin, comprising universities, industry and civil society. The city looks back on a varied history as an industrial and scientific metropolis and now has the unique opportunity to play among the world’s best with an excellent ecosystem. We are already on the right track. The Nobel Prize awarded to Emmanuelle Charpentier from the Berlin Max Planck Institute shows what is possible.
- Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award 2020: the winners
- Facts & Events © Falling Walls FoundationFacts & EventsWhether it is Berlin Science Week, Long Night of the Sciences or the Greentech Festival - the Berlin Science Year 2020 promises to be at least as…→
Brain City Berlin 2020: 10 Event Highlights
- Facts & Events Berlin Science WeekFacts & EventsWith more than 200 events and over 500 speakers, this year’s Berlin Science Week is bigger than ever before. However, the 2020 edition of the…→
Berlin Science Week 2020 – Digital and Global
- Facts & Events MPG © Hallbauer und FiorettiFacts & EventsThe Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has given top Berlin researcher Professor Dr Emmanuelle Charpentier and American Professor Dr Jennifer A. Doudna…→
2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry goes to Emmanuelle Charpentier: Congratulations!
- Insights Credit: Alexander Rentsch/HTW BerlinInsightsBrain City Ambassador Prof. Dr. Florian Koch of HTW Berlin brings together science, business and civil society in his research.→
“Increasing Urbanisation also Creates Opportunities”
- Facts & Events Credit: ThisisEngeneering RAEng on UnsplashFacts & EventsIt is considered to be one of the most important instruments of Berlin's higher education equality policy: the “Berliner Chancengleichheitsprogramm”…→
Berlin Equal Opportunities Programme: 6 more years
- Insights [Translate to English:]InsightsScience and cultural heritage, freely accessible to everyone at any time on the Internet: The Open Access movement is promoting a paradigm shift in…→
Knowledge for All - Open Access in Berlin | 28.03.2019
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin Pressestelle / DahlFacts & EventsThe coronavirus pandemic carries many risks, not only for individuals, but also for society. But how are the risks being perceived? And how are people…→
Risk perception in the coronavirus crisis: a survey from TU Berlin
- Facts & Events Credit: Harf Zimmermann/3-D-Visualisierung: Tonio FreitagFacts & EventsBerlin celebrates science. We’ve put together a few highlights for you.→
"Wissensstadt Berlin 2021" – Our Top 10 Events
- Facts & Events FU Berlin © Stephan Niespodziany, www.rejoyce.berlinFacts & EventsDigital, hybrid, or live in-person: in 2021, events in the Brain City Berlin will still be shaped by the restrictions of the coronavirus pandemic.…→
Brain City Berlin: Top 10 Events in 2021
- Insights Credit: Rudolf GrillborzerInsightsGuest contribution by Brain City Ambassador Dr.-Ing. Onur Günlü, Technische Universität Berlin.→
Exploring the "ultimate limits"
- Insights ©Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin/Matthias HeydeInsightsThe courses offered by the HUWISU Summer University are varied and exciting, the target group is international: students from abroad who come to…→
When Berlin becomes one large seminar room ... | 15.08.2019
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsThis year too, Berlin and Brandenburg expect a high level of participation in the innovation competition advertised by both States.→
Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award: apply until 21 June
- Insights [Translate to English:] HZB/M. SetzpfandtInsightsIn these times of fake news and pseudo-scientific publications, many people find it difficult to distinguish legitimate from dubious content. Only 54%…→
"Science needs to make us curious" | 11.06.2019
- Facts & Events © Beuth Hochschule / Karsten FlügelFacts & EventsBuildings, lecture halls and laboratories in the Brain City Berlin are currently closed to students, teachers and researchers due to the corona…→
COVID-19: Berlin universities are helping
- Facts & Events shutterstock © andersphotoFacts & EventsBerliners win six high-ranking research awards: a total of five outstanding scientists received awards from the European Research Council. And Berlin…→
Six awards announced for Berlin scientists
- Insights © hj barraza/UnsplashInsightsOur guest author Dr Barbara Schäuble is Professor for Diversity-Conscious Approaches in the Theory and Practice of Social Work at ASH Berlin and a…→
Guest contribution: A sudden change of course - classes moved online
- Facts & Events ©ADN BroadcastFacts & Events31.10.2019 | For the second time, a Falling Walls Lab was held in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, on 21 September 2019. The event was organized by…→
Brain City Ambassador organizes 2nd Falling Walls Lab in Tunis
- Insights Anna Raysyan (private)InsightsBrain City Ambassador Anna Raysyan has been living in Berlin for 3,5 years now. She is a PhD student at the Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und…→
Guest Contribution: “Berlin likes the bold!”
- Facts & Events ©IFAFFacts & Events22.11.2019 | Interdisciplinarity is a central characteristic of science and research in Berlin. This was most recently proven when the Berlin…→
IFAF Berlin marks 10th anniversary
- Insights HIIGInsightsBrain City-Interview with Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulz, Research Director at the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG).→
“A sustainable goal of our work is to make clear what the technology can actually do”
- Facts & Events ©Marvin Meyer/UnsplashFacts & EventsMore students than ever before are expected to be enrolled at the colleges and universities in the Brain City Berlin by the winter semester 2019/20.…→
Start of the semester: 195,000 students expected | 17.10.2019
- Facts & Events ©Paul Hahn PhotographyFacts & EventsBerlin's Senator for Economics, Ramona Pop, and Brandenburg's Minister of Economic Affairs, Jörgs Steinbach, have once again announced the search for…→
2020 Innovation Award: Apply by 22th June!
- Insights Susanne Plaumann (private)InsightsInterview with Brain City Ambassador Susanne Plaumann M.A., Central women's representative at the Beuth University of Applied Sciences Berlin.→
“Careers are now easier to plan for women scientists”
- Facts & Events left: TU Berlin, Pressestelle / right: Marten KörnerFacts & EventsSeveral researchers in Brain City Berlin have recently received top-class prize grants. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prizes were awarded to Prof. Dr…→
7 research awards for Berlin scientists
- Insights © Brain City BerlinInsightsResearch results quickly and easily accessible online: The Open Access movement is campaigning for a paradigm shift in the field of publications and…→
Open Access: free knowledge for everyone
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Florian ReimannFacts & EventsThe future of the city: what could it look like? That's what Berlin's CityLAB is busy thinking about and researching. The Berlin experimental…→
Laboratory for the digitalization of Berlin: CityLAB opens | 13.06.2019
- Facts & Events ©Futurium/David von BeckerFacts & EventsAlmost everyone's occupied with the future, because it's going to affect all of us. The Futurium, which opened yesterday in Brain City Berlin, invites…→
Creating public space for thinking in Brain City Berlin: the opening of the Futurium | 06.09.2019
- Talent [Translate to English:] TU Berlin | U. DahlTalentThe International Post-Doc Initiative of the Technische Universität Berlin is aimed at female scientists from all over the world. As part of the TU…→
IPODI – TU Berlin funds international female scientists | 14.05.2018
- Insights [Translate to English:]InsightsSpace exploration is experiencing a revolution thanks to commercialization by such companies as Elon Musk's SpaceX. But did you know that more facets…→
From Berlin to the moon: the space industry is booming in Berlin | 03.09.2018
- Insights HTW BerlinInsightsAn interview with Brain City Ambassador Prof. Dr. Kai Reinhardt. On October 28, he will be speaking at the second SpreeTalk at HTW University of…→
“The pandemic has been a catalyst for digitalization”
- Facts & Events Fotocredit: #MIT Covid-19 ChallengeFacts & EventsApply for the #MIT Hackathon "Beat the Pandemic II" until 26 May! Experts from different fields are sought.→
"Beat the Pandemic II": Join the MIT COVID-19 Challenge
- Talent ©Jordan KatzTalentAt the Brain City Summer Festival on 19 August, to which the now two-year-old campaign had invited together with the HTW Berlin University of Applied…→
Participate, network, develop visions for the future - the Brain City Berlin Summer Festival | 03.09.2019
- Insights © Pocky Lee on UnsplashInsightsMatches in front of empty stadiums, virtual marathons, and many postponed events. Brain City Ambassador Professor Gabriele Mielke is tracking the…→
"Now is the time for innovators"
- Insights ©BIH|Thomas RafalzykInsightsAt the Berlin Institute of Health (BIH) the main focus is on "translational research" - the transfer of findings from the research lab into clinical…→
“There are now many great female scientists, achieving great things”
- Insights Franziska SattlerInsightsIn the interview: Brain City ambassador Franziska Sattler on her series of events "Kaffeeklatsch mit Wissenschaft" (Talking Science over Coffee) at…→
"Science needs the trust of society"
- Insights [Translate to English:] David Ausserhofer/IGBInsightsBerlin is one of the most water-rich cities in Germany. But climate change does not stop at the Havel, Spree or Wannsee either. Dr. Michael Hupfer is…→
"We're trying to take a look into the future." | 04.07.2019
- Facts & Events ©BIT6Facts & EventsThe Coronvirusa crisis poses great challenges, especially for small and medium-sized companies. On 20 May, scientific experts will speak all day in…→
TRAO – digital transfer day on the 20th of May
- Insights [Translate to English:] Thomas Rosenthal - Museum für Naturkunde BerlinInsights660 million euros in 10 years: The Natural History Museum Berlin - Museum für Naturkunde Berlin receives financial support for the further development…→
Future of the Museum für Naturkunde Berlin | 14.01.2019
- Facts & Events ©Mario Gogh/UnsplashFacts & EventsStart-ups arising from research being done at Berlin's universities are of major importance for the region's economy. As the “Gruendungsumfrage 2020”…→
Academic start-ups strengthen Berlin's economy
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Fotowerk – AdobeStockFacts & EventsThree new health care courses will start in the winter semester 2020/21 at the Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin (ASH Berlin).→
Apply now - 3 new health degree courses at the ASH Berlin
- Insights ©fotografixx - istockphoto.comInsightsIn the digital age learning behaviour changes profoundly. It is student-centered and technology rich. As a member of the Erasmus+ funded project…→
Exploring the future of learning
- Insights © HTW Berlin / Nikolas FahlbuschInsightsTeaching is currently only taking place online. Guest author Dr Dorothee Haffner, professor for Museology at HTW Berlin - University of Applied…→
Guest contribution: "Online teaching is more engaging than I thought"
- Facts & Events ©Berlin Science Week 2019Facts & Events23.10.2019 | Over 350 top researchers from all over the world, more than 130 events, and a new format: the "Berlin Science Campus". Berlin Science…→
10 days dedicated to science: Berlin Science Week 2019
- Insights ©ESCP EUROPEInsights29.10.2019 | Professor Andreas Kaplan is a Brain City Berlin ambassador and Rector of ESCP Europe Business School Berlin. The economist's research is…→
"We have to be able to take everyone on the journey."
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Marcel/UnsplashFacts & EventsBe it the greater mouse-eared bat, the brown long-eared bat, the serotine bat or the common noctule – bats feel particularly at home in Berlin. 18 of…→
Until 8th of March: Bat Capital seeks hobby researchers
- Facts & Events Fu Berlin / Peter HirnselFacts & EventsBerlin is a cosmopolitan metropolis. People from more than 190 countries live and work in the city. More and more young, talented people who would…→
Berlin universities are extraordinarily international | 10.10.2019
- Insights [Translate to English:] Tim LandgrafInsightsBrain City Berlin is considered one of the leading locations in Germany working on artificial intelligence. About 30% of all German AI companies are…→
Fish, bees, and self-driving cars | 07.06.2019
- Insights [Translate to English:] Berlin University Alliance/Matthias HeydeInsightsTogether we are stronger. And also more successful. As the "Berlin University Alliance," the Technische Universität Berlin, the Freie Universität…→
Congratulations: The “Berlin University Alliance“ receives funding of the Excellence Strategy |19.07.2019
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsWith the science fair “Tabula rasa - Science you can touch”, Urania Berlin offers 40 young scientists a public forum. The application deadline is 1…→
Wanted: innovative and creative ideas from science and research!
- Facts & Events ©Samuel HenneFacts & EventsThe exhibition MACHT NATUR at STATE Studio in Berlin focuses on the discomfort that many of us experience when faced with human intervention in…→
MACHT NATUR: an exhibition that asks questions
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] chris knight/unsplashFacts & EventsBerliners with foreign roots are extremely innovative. According to a short report by IW, the Cologne Institute for Economic Research, 16.1% of the…→
Berliners with a migration background especially inventive | 29.05.2019
- Talent [Translate to English:] Dr. Sana Amairi Pyka | Falling Walls Lab TunisTalentBrain City Berlin interviewed Dr. Sana Amairi Pyka, who hosted the first Falling Walls Lab in Tunis. The winner will participate at the Falling Walls…→
Brain City Ambassador organizes Falling Walls Lab in Tunis | 07.11.2018
- Facts & Events ©FMP/ Barth van RossumFacts & EventsUsing viruses against influenza, avian flu - and maybe soon also against Corona? An alliance of scientists from the Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für…→
Berlin research alliance develops influenza inhibitor
- Insights ©Berlin Partner für Wirtschaft und TechnologieInsightsMany top-class researchers and scientists are being attracted to Brain City Berlin every year. The Dual Career Network Berlin helps partners of…→
Dual Career Network Berlin: getting a good start in Berlin
- Facts & Events ThisisEngineering RAEng on UnsplashFacts & EventsBerlin universities are above the national average in terms of equality. In 2020, the state universities in the Brain City Berlin filled around half…→
Capital of Female Professors
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsAs part of the “Creative Cities Challenge”, the “Global Innovation Collaborative” is now looking for innovative solutions that will contribute to the…→
Apply until August 3: Call for Competition Entries “Creative Cities Challenge 2021”
- Facts & Events ©Martin Sanchez on UnsplashFacts & EventsOpening perspectives for Berlin universities: In the winter semester of 2021/22, most teaching and studying will once again take place in attendance.…→
Coronavirus – What is happening in the Brain City Berlin?
- Insights Credit: Peter Himsel/Campus Berlin-Buch GmbHInsightsThe Campus Berlin-Buch in the north of Brain City Berlin has grown to become one of Europe’s largest business and research centres for life sciences.→
A Vibrant Healthcare Network
- Insights ©DexLeChemInsightsLaunching a start-up while at university? Sonja Jost's success shows the way. Together with three fellow students, she founded DexLeChem after…→
"Bringing new knowledge to the market is very important to us"
- Insights dentalXr.aiInsightsdentalXrai is the first dental start-up to be spun off the Charité. It was launched via the accelerator of the Berlin Institute of Health (BIH). We…→
Artificial intelligence in the fight against tooth decay
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsThe Berlin universities of applied sciences – four State and two denominational – are celebrating their anniversaries. On the occasion of the joint…→
50 Years – 50 Stories
- Facts & Events Foto: @Harf Zimmermann, 3-D-Visualisierung@ Tonio FreitagFacts & Events“Berlin wants to know”: “Wissensstadt Berlin 2021” is getting underway with a large open-air exhibition in front of the Rotes Rathaus.→
“Wissensstadt Berlin 2021” – Festival of Research
- Insights Foto: ESCP Business School BerlinInsightsWhat to do when distance is suddenly the order of the day? A guest contribution by Dr. René Mauer, Professor of Entrepreneurship und Innovation at…→
Using Whiteboards to Combat Digital Fatigue
- ©vdoEvery year, just before Christmas evening, we ask ourselves full of hope the same question: Will there be White Christmas? According to the Berliner…→
Whether green or white: We wish you a Merry Christmas!
- Insights © AW Creative on UnsplashInsightsJuggling a degree course or teaching with the extra burden of the care of children or other family members is not an easy task. Both students and…→
From “Zoo School” to “Maternity Protection”: family-friendly universities
- Insights Foto: Olga Makarova privatInsightsBrain City Ambassador Olga Makarova reflects on being a microbiologist during the pandemic, and the urgent need for microbiology literacy in society.→
Guest Contribution: COVID-19 and microbiology literacy
- Insights Swen Hutter (Foto: David Ausserhofer), Gesine Höltmann (Foto: Martina Sander)InsightsA guest contribution by Gesine Höltmann, research assistant and Swen Hutter, Deputy Director at the Centre for Civil Society Research.→
Polarisation and Cohesion in the Corona Crisis: a Look at Civil Society
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Peitz/CharitéFacts & EventsThe Brain City Berlin once again gets top-class new scientists: The medician and epidemiologist Prof. Dr. Dr. Sabine Gabrysch is the first female…→
First nationwide professorship for climate change and health in Berlin | 26.06.2019
- Facts & Events © Futurium/Ali GhandtschiFacts & EventsFor all those who have not yet planned anything specific for the weekend - here are a few tips from the Brain City editorial team combining leisure…→
5 tips: Weekend in Brain City Berlin
- Insights Foto: "Lucid Dream", Elena Kunau and Mariya YordanovaInsightsARTIFICIAL REALITY – VIRTUAL INTELLIGENCE is the name of an exhibition that can be seen from 8 to 12 September as part of Ars Electronica Garden…→
Interaction via Emotion
- Insights Credit: Markus KrutzikInsightsDr. Markus Krutzik, Head of the Joint Lab Integrated Quantum Sensors (IQS), on the "Wissenschaft trifft Wirtschaft" (Science Meets Business") event…→
"I am Fascinated by the Possibilities of Quantum Sensors"
- Facts & Events Credit: Berlin Partner/WüstenhagenFacts & EventsThe online event “Redefining the Smart City” on 23 and 24 March is inviting international researchers and Smart City experts to various workshops.The…→
International symposium on the subject of Smart Cities
- Insights ©Matthias PicketInsightsDr. Anne Schreiter, Managing Director of the German Scholars Organization (GSO), reveals in the Brain City interview what alternative career…→
"Science is not just about research"
- Insights ©Ivar Veermäe / Centre for EntrepreneurshipInsightsBrain City Berlin is the German capital of start-ups. Many young companies have successfully been founded through Berlin and Brandenburg based…→
"Society in particular benefits from high-tech start-ups" - university survey enters its third round
- Startup [Translate to English:] alvaro reyes on unsplashStartupOb Kniffelspiel oder Sudoku – Gehirntraining gibt es bereits seit Jahrzehnten. Das Berliner Start-up NeuroNation bietet es per Web oder App. Das…→
Fitness training for the brain | 21.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] the climate reality project/usplashFacts & EventsAlready for the third time the international conference "I, Scientist" takes place in the Brain City Berlin. From 20 to 21 September 2019, students…→
Register now! "I, Scientist" - Gender Conference for Women Scientists | 25.07.2019
- Facts & Events UVB 2019 / André WagenzikFacts & EventsBrain City Berlin is considered one of the leading locations in Germany working on artificial intelligence. Berlin science is an important driver of…→
Accelerating the digital transformation: TU Berlin and business associations intensify cooperation | 02.10.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] OttobockFacts & EventsThe last school day in Berlin is over. Finally summer holidays! But some students might get bored while swimming all day in the Havel or the…→
Clever throughout the summer holidays | 19.06.2019
- Innovations [Translate to English:] Shutterstock/ Jacob LundInnovationsThe capital city fills almost half of the professorships with female scientists: 48 percent of the calls for professorships made by Berlin…→
Brain City Berlin – pioneering in equality issues | 10.07.2019
- Facts & Events ©visitBerlin/Sarah LindemannFacts & EventsReal-world Laboratories are bringing scientists together with practitioners to develop solutions to the questions of tomorrow in an experimental…→
The "StadtManufaktur Berlin" Exhibition: experiments to create a city worth living in
- Facts & Events Credit: Lars HübnerFacts & EventsBrain City Ambassador Professor Dr. Christian Drosten has been awarded the Berliner Wissenschaftspreis 2020 for his outstanding research achievements.…→
Berliner Wissenschaftspreis 2020 for Christian Drosten
- Facts & Events © ESMT Berlin/Fotografin: Annette KorrolFacts & EventsAlso a great outcome for Brain City Berlin: Özlem Bedre-Defolie, Associate Professor of Economics at the ESMT Berlin international business school has…→
On the trail of dominant platforms: ESMT Professor receives around 1.5 million euro in grant funding | 11.09.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsIn the globally recognized QS University Ranking, Berlin's universities performed very well in many disciplines. They are 30 times among the top 50…→
QS World University Ranking 2019 - Berlin Universities are among the world's best in many disciplines | 21.03.2019
- Insights Fotocredit: Ortner & Ortner / SiemensInsightsSiemensstadt 2.0 is a place of the future. The Berlin Senate has approved 9.9 million euros for the first research project "Electrical Drive…→
Siemensstadt 2.0: Research and industry closely linked
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin PressestelleFacts & Events“Berlin Institute for the Foundations of Learning and Data” (BIFOLD) is the new organisation that the Berlin Big Data Center (BBDC) and the Berlin…→
AI Beacon for Berlin: Millions in funding from the German Federal Government and State of Berlin
- Facts & Events Matthias Heyde, HU BerlinFacts & EventsThe new Unter den Linden underground station is currently teeming with science. An exhibition organised by the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin shows…→
Exhibition tip: Science Underground
- Insights ©Credit Silke Oßwald/FMPInsightsBrain City interview: Professor Dr. Volker Haucke, Director at the Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für Molekulare Pharmakologie (FMP) and Professor of…→
In the balancing act between detail and overall concept
- Insights Adi Goldstein auf UnsplashInsightsStadtManufaktur Berlin conceptually unites research projects of the TU Berlin under a single roof. The long-term goal of this “open laboratory…→
Science in Dialogue with the City
- Insights Falk WeißInsightsThe knowledge portal “humboldts17” presents current research on the subject of sustainability and welcomes open dialogue with the general public. The…→
17 Goals for the Future
- Facts & Events LNDW/IrmischFacts & EventsThe Long Night of Sciences (Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften) has long been one of the highlights of the Brain City Berlin event calendar every June.…→
Long Night of the Sciences: this year as a podcast series
- Insights Credit: Mimi Thian on UnsolashInsightsGuest Contribution by Brain City Ambassador Dr. Petyo Budakov, University of Europe for Applied Sciences.→
“Proudly presenting Brain City Berlin in 2020”
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] TU Berlin/DahlFacts & EventsBerlin is one of the most exciting centers for science and research in the world. Brain City Berlin is characterized by international and…→
Brain City Berlin: in free dialog with the world | 13.05.2019
- Insights Gudrun Piechotta-HenzeInsightsIn time for the 2020/21 winter semester, ASH, the Alice Salomon University of Applied Sciences Berlin, is launching the first bachelor's degree to…→
"We have to completely rethink nursing!" | 27.09.2019
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsCurrent technological developments in the field of life sciences, exchanges and networking will be the focus of BIONNALE on 12 May.→
BIONNALE 2021 – register now!
- Insights Credt: Startup Incubator BerlinInsightsThe Startup Incubator Berlin at the Berlin School of Economics and Law is particularly successful in supporting founder teams – as proved by the fact…→
“We Bring Ideas to Market”
- Insights [Translate to English:] Helena Lopes / UnsplashInsightsSend a digital lollipop or delicate fragrance notes via email or let the wind virtually blow against your face - research makes it possible. Learn…→
Experiencing the digital world with all senses | 18.06.2019
- Wissen/Wissenschaft im Dialog/Chris LawtonHey, amateur and want-to-be scientists: On 14 and 15 October 2020, the Citizen Science Festival invites children, young people, and adults to take…→
Tip for autumn break: Do some research as part of the Citizen Science Festival
- Insights [Translate to English:]InsightsThe literary scholar Dr. Betiel Wasihun was traveling for science. After stops in Heidelberg, Yale, and Oxford, it brought her to Berlin two years…→
“Berlin is a perfect location. Especially if you don’t want to pursue just a single avenue of scientific work.” | 12.08.2019