FU Berlin © Stephan Niespodziany, www.rejoyce.berlin13.01.2021
Brain City Berlin: Top 10 Events in 2021
Digital, hybrid, or live in-person: even in this new year, events in the Brain City Berlin will be shaped by the restrictions of the coronavirus pandemic. The established trade fairs, conventions, and other public events will nevertheless take place. After all, Berlin officially declared itself a “Wissensstadt” in 2021. To mark this special year, around 100 events will invite people to participate and learn about the latest approaches and innovative solutions. Lockdown or not, it will definitely be exciting! We've put together a list of ten highlights.
This year in Berlin is going to be all about science. As part of the theme year “Wissensstadt Berlin 2021" (Knowledge City Berlin 2021), numerous top scientific institutions in the Brain City Berlin are planning around 100 events that will not only provide information but also invite people to participate. The occasion is the bicentennial of the birth of physiologist and physicist Hermann von Helmholtz and of medical doctor and politician Rudolf Virchow. For example, the Berlin Medical Museum of Medical History at the Charité will have a special exhibition on “Rudolf Virchow and Medicine.” And the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers (HGF) will hold events at its locations in cooperation with other institutions that will focus on the scientific interdisciplinarity typical of Berlin.
Berlin has been named “Europäische Freiwilligenhauptstadt 2021” (European Volunteering Capital 2021). The Centre for European Volunteering thus honours all that Berlin and its people achieve in terms of volunteering and honorary work. In the campaign year, the city wants to show the diverse ways its citizens are involved and get even more inspired to pitch in. The basic idea behind all of the activities is that voluntary engagement strengthens democracy and social cohesion in society. Studies have also shown that volunteering can make you happy. During the year as Europäische Freiwilligenhauptstadt, Brain City Berlin will focus on the societal values that are also of great importance for a lively scientific landscape: community, integration, diversity, belonging and solidarity.
The Open Science Conference will take place for the eighth time in the Brain City Berlin. The actors want to involve the public worldwide in scientific research. #osc2021 will be one of the largest international events on the topic. At the three-day event hosted online this year by the Leibniz Research Alliance Open Science, researchers, librarians, practitioners, infrastructure providers, political decision-makers and representatives of other important interest groups will discuss the latest and future developments in open science. The day before, on 16 February 2021, the associated Open Science Barcamp #oscibar will take place. www.open-science-conference.eu/barcamp/
Four days, four interlinked conferences, one goal: the first Digital Medicine Week will be about improving everyday life for patients. The interactive format will provide insights into everyday patient life, present patient-related digital innovations and offer entrepreneurs from the health sector a stage. Researchers are invited to take part in a researchathon. The DMW is organized by the hih – health innovation hub of the Federal Ministry of Health (BMG).
As the largest networking event for the life sciences and healthcare industry in Berlin and Brandenburg, the BIONNALE brings together more than 900 representatives from science and industry for one day. This is the 19th Bionnale, which will be carried out as a hybrid format this year. The organiser is the HealthCapital Berlin-Brandenburg Cluster Management. Detailed information on the program will be released shortly.
Last year, the “smartest night of the year” was cancelled due to the pandemic. In June 2021, however, more than 60 science and research institutions in Berlin and Potsdam plan to open their doors again to visitors from Berlin and the region. The program for this year's Long Night of the Sciences (LNDW) will include around 2,000 events, readings, lectures, workshops, performances and experiments. But, if you can't wait until 5 June: the LNDW podcast <https://braincity.berlin/podcasts> gives a lively insight into the diversity of research in the Brain City Berlin. Since the pandemic has struck, this monthly podcast in lieu of the cancelled LNDW2020 event has been released with the support of Brain City Berlin. Each episode covers a new, exciting topic!
Mobility as we know it today will not be around for much longer. But what will it look like in the future? And what challenges, but also opportunities, is the industry currently facing? Such questions will be discussed at the Future Mobility Summit in Berlin. Around 1,500 national and international mobility decision-makers from politics, business, science, associations, NGOs and trade unions will take part. The agenda includes discussions, keynotes, master classes and networking events. This year, the Summit will take place as a hybrid event: both online and in person at the Technische Universität Berlin.
“We have to inspire as many people as possible and get them involves,” says Nico Rosberg. In order to accelerate the changes necessary to implement green technology, the former Formula 1 world champion together with engineers and entrepreneurs Marco Voigt and Sven Krüger launched the Greentech Festival at the former Tempelhof Airport in 2019. In 2021, the three-day event will again be about the latest technologies for a green future. The GREEN AWARDS will be presented to the world's most innovative green projects and pioneers. The motto of this year's environmental festival: "Let's celebrate change together."
The World Health Summit, which takes place annually in Berlin, is one of the most important international conferences on global health. During the special year devoted to "Wissensstadt Berlin 2021,” the summit will have a special focus: the influence of Rudolf Virchow and Hermann von Helmholtz on global research development. In addition, leading representatives from science, business, politics and civil society will discuss important issues of global health in Berlin, make recommendations and issue challenges. The World Health Summit was founded in 2009 at the Charité. Goal of the summit: to improve global health through open dialogue and collaboration while preserving scientific independence.
10. Berlin Science Week (November 2021)
The exact date has not yet been set. But it is certain that the Berlin Science Week will once again take place this year in November. The ten-day international science festival brings together events at numerous locations throughout Berlin and shows that the Brain City is a world-leading and extremely lively location for science. A highlight in the context of the Berlin Science Week is the Falling Walls Conference Berlin. On 9 November, a date steeped in world history, international experts and young researchers will present groundbreaking research projects in Berlin. (vdo)
- Facts & Events ThisisEngineering RAEng on UnsplashFacts & EventsBerlin universities are above the national average in terms of equality. In 2020, the state universities in the Brain City Berlin filled around half…→
Capital of Female Professors
- Facts & Events Matthias Heyde, HU BerlinFacts & EventsThe new Unter den Linden underground station is currently teeming with science. An exhibition organised by the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin shows…→
Exhibition tip: Science Underground
- Facts & Events left: TU Berlin, Pressestelle / right: Marten KörnerFacts & EventsSeveral researchers in Brain City Berlin have recently received top-class prize grants. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prizes were awarded to Prof. Dr…→
7 research awards for Berlin scientists
- Facts & Events ©Martin Sanchez on UnsplashFacts & EventsThe pandemic containment measures for Berlin universities will be continued until March 31, 2021. The Senate Chancellery - Higher Education and…→
Coronavirus – What is happening in the Brain City Berlin?
- Facts & Events Berlin Science WeekFacts & EventsWith more than 200 events and over 500 speakers, this year’s Berlin Science Week is bigger than ever before. However, the 2020 edition of the…→
Berlin Science Week 2020 – Digital and Global
- Facts & Events MPG © Hallbauer und FiorettiFacts & EventsThe Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has given top Berlin researcher Professor Dr Emmanuelle Charpentier and American Professor Dr Jennifer A. Doudna…→
2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry goes to Emmanuelle Charpentier: Congratulations!
- Facts & Events ©Mario Gogh/UnsplashFacts & EventsStart-ups arising from research being done at Berlin's universities are of major importance for the region's economy. As the “Gruendungsumfrage 2020”…→
Academic start-ups strengthen Berlin's economy
- Facts & Events ©Samuel HenneFacts & EventsThe exhibition MACHT NATUR at STATE Studio in Berlin focuses on the discomfort that many of us experience when faced with human intervention in…→
MACHT NATUR: an exhibition that asks questions
- Facts & Events ©visitBerlin/Sarah LindemannFacts & EventsReal-world Laboratories are bringing scientists together with practitioners to develop solutions to the questions of tomorrow in an experimental…→
The "StadtManufaktur Berlin" Exhibition: experiments to create a city worth living in
- Facts & Events LNDW/IrmischFacts & EventsThe Long Night of Sciences (Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften) has long been one of the highlights of the Brain City Berlin event calendar every June.…→
Long Night of the Sciences: this year as a podcast series
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Fotowerk – AdobeStockFacts & EventsThree new health care courses will start in the winter semester 2020/21 at the Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin (ASH Berlin).→
Apply now - 3 new health degree courses at the ASH Berlin
- Facts & Events © Futurium/Ali GhandtschiFacts & EventsFor all those who have not yet planned anything specific for the weekend - here are a few tips from the Brain City editorial team combining leisure…→
5 tips: Weekend in Brain City Berlin
- Facts & Events Fotocredit: #MIT Covid-19 ChallengeFacts & EventsApply for the #MIT Hackathon "Beat the Pandemic II" until 26 May! Experts from different fields are sought.→
"Beat the Pandemic II": Join the MIT COVID-19 Challenge
- Facts & Events ©BIT6Facts & EventsThe Coronvirusa crisis poses great challenges, especially for small and medium-sized companies. On 20 May, scientific experts will speak all day in…→
TRAO – digital transfer day on the 20th of May
- Facts & Events ©Paul Hahn PhotographyFacts & EventsBerlin's Senator for Economics, Ramona Pop, and Brandenburg's Minister of Economic Affairs, Jörgs Steinbach, have once again announced the search for…→
2020 Innovation Award: Apply by 22th June!
- Facts & Events © Beuth Hochschule / Karsten FlügelFacts & EventsBuildings, lecture halls and laboratories in the Brain City Berlin are currently closed to students, teachers and researchers due to the corona…→
COVID-19: Berlin universities are helping
- Facts & Events ©FMP/ Barth van RossumFacts & EventsUsing viruses against influenza, avian flu - and maybe soon also against Corona? An alliance of scientists from the Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für…→
Berlin research alliance develops influenza inhibitor
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin Pressestelle / DahlFacts & EventsThe coronavirus pandemic carries many risks, not only for individuals, but also for society. But how are the risks being perceived? And how are people…→
Risk perception in the coronavirus crisis: a survey from TU Berlin
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Marcel/UnsplashFacts & EventsBe it the greater mouse-eared bat, the brown long-eared bat, the serotine bat or the common noctule – bats feel particularly at home in Berlin. 18 of…→
Until 8th of March: Bat Capital seeks hobby researchers
- Facts & Events © Falling Walls FoundationFacts & EventsWhether it is Berlin Science Week, Long Night of the Sciences or the Greentech Festival - the Berlin Science Year 2020 promises to be at least as…→
Brain City Berlin 2020: 10 Event Highlights
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin PressestelleFacts & Events“Berlin Institute for the Foundations of Learning and Data” (BIFOLD) is the new organisation that the Berlin Big Data Center (BBDC) and the Berlin…→
AI Beacon for Berlin: Millions in funding from the German Federal Government and State of Berlin
- Facts & Events shutterstock © andersphotoFacts & EventsBerliners win six high-ranking research awards: a total of five outstanding scientists received awards from the European Research Council. And Berlin…→
Six awards announced for Berlin scientists
- Facts & Events ©IFAFFacts & Events22.11.2019 | Interdisciplinarity is a central characteristic of science and research in Berlin. This was most recently proven when the Berlin…→
IFAF Berlin marks 10th anniversary
- Facts & Events ©ADN BroadcastFacts & Events31.10.2019 | For the second time, a Falling Walls Lab was held in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, on 21 September 2019. The event was organized by…→
Brain City Ambassador organizes 2nd Falling Walls Lab in Tunis
- Facts & Events ©Berlin Science Week 2019Facts & Events23.10.2019 | Over 350 top researchers from all over the world, more than 130 events, and a new format: the "Berlin Science Campus". Berlin Science…→
10 days dedicated to science: Berlin Science Week 2019
- Facts & Events ©Marvin Meyer/UnsplashFacts & EventsMore students than ever before are expected to be enrolled at the colleges and universities in the Brain City Berlin by the winter semester 2019/20.…→
Start of the semester: 195,000 students expected | 17.10.2019
- Facts & Events Fu Berlin / Peter HirnselFacts & EventsBerlin is a cosmopolitan metropolis. People from more than 190 countries live and work in the city. More and more young, talented people who would…→
Berlin universities are extraordinarily international | 10.10.2019
- Facts & Events UVB 2019 / André WagenzikFacts & EventsBrain City Berlin is considered one of the leading locations in Germany working on artificial intelligence. Berlin science is an important driver of…→
Accelerating the digital transformation: TU Berlin and business associations intensify cooperation | 02.10.2019
- Facts & Events © ESMT Berlin/Fotografin: Annette KorrolFacts & EventsAlso a great outcome for Brain City Berlin: Özlem Bedre-Defolie, Associate Professor of Economics at the ESMT Berlin international business school has…→
On the trail of dominant platforms: ESMT Professor receives around 1.5 million euro in grant funding | 11.09.2019
- Facts & Events ©Futurium/David von BeckerFacts & EventsAlmost everyone's occupied with the future, because it's going to affect all of us. The Futurium, which opened yesterday in Brain City Berlin, invites…→
Creating public space for thinking in Brain City Berlin: the opening of the Futurium | 06.09.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Peitz/CharitéFacts & EventsThe Brain City Berlin once again gets top-class new scientists: The medician and epidemiologist Prof. Dr. Dr. Sabine Gabrysch is the first female…→
First nationwide professorship for climate change and health in Berlin | 26.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] OttobockFacts & EventsThe last school day in Berlin is over. Finally summer holidays! But some students might get bored while swimming all day in the Havel or the…→
Clever throughout the summer holidays | 19.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Florian ReimannFacts & EventsThe future of the city: what could it look like? That's what Berlin's CityLAB is busy thinking about and researching. The Berlin experimental…→
Laboratory for the digitalization of Berlin: CityLAB opens | 13.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] chris knight/unsplashFacts & EventsBerliners with foreign roots are extremely innovative. According to a short report by IW, the Cologne Institute for Economic Research, 16.1% of the…→
Berliners with a migration background especially inventive | 29.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] TU Berlin/DahlFacts & EventsBerlin is one of the most exciting centers for science and research in the world. Brain City Berlin is characterized by international and…→
Brain City Berlin: in free dialog with the world | 13.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsIn the globally recognized QS University Ranking, Berlin's universities performed very well in many disciplines. They are 30 times among the top 50…→
QS World University Ranking 2019 - Berlin Universities are among the world's best in many disciplines | 21.03.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] the climate reality project/usplashFacts & EventsAlready for the third time the international conference "I, Scientist" takes place in the Brain City Berlin. From 20 to 21 September 2019, students…→
Register now! "I, Scientist" - Gender Conference for Women Scientists | 25.07.2019