© Falling Walls Foundation29.01.2020
Brain City Berlin 2020: 10 Event Highlights
Whether it is Berlin Science Week, Long Night of the Sciences or the Greentech Festival - the Berlin Science Year 2020 promises to be at least as exciting as the previous year. Numerous events - from grassroots events to international expert forums - are in the Brain City Berlin program calendar. We have put together a list of 10 highlights for you.
In Brain City Berlin, there is now an extremely lively Open Science Scene. The participants aim to integrate the worldwide public into scientific research. One of the biggest events on this subject in Berlin is the Open Science Conference, which is taking place for the seventh time in 2020. At the two-day event organised by the Leibniz Research Alliance Open Science, researchers, librarians, practitioners, infrastructure suppliers, political decision-makers and representatives of other major interest groups will discuss the latest, and future, developments in the Open Science area. On the day before, the associated Open Science Barcamp will take place - also in Berlin.
Mobility as we know it today will not exist for much longer. So, what will it look like in future? Questions like this will be discussed at the Future Mobility Summit in the Technical University of Berlin. Around 1500 national and international mobility decision-makers from the world of politics, science, federations, NGO’s and unions will come together in the Brain City Berlin. Alongside a central plenary meeting, there will be a range of forums, deep-dive sessions and master classes. Exhibitions bring new technologies to life and alternative transport concepts can be tested on test runs. A special focus of the summit: the role of local authorities as local implementers.
The DMEA is regarded as Europe’s biggest Health IT event. In the exhibition centre halls under the Funkturm Radio Tower, over 350 speakers and 600 exhibitors will show how the digital transformation can make highly complex health systems patient-centred, economically viable and future-proof. Over the three days of the events, DMEA will offer around 11,000 specialist visitors from 49 countries in five exhibition halls lots of space and opportunities to find out about trends in digital medicine, as well as discuss and network.
A story could hardly be more typical Berlin: Ten people met in 2015 in an off-beat location in Berlin Mitte to find answers to questions that drove them. All about AI. They invited experts and other interested parties. This was the start of the “Rise of AI Conference” which is taking place for the sixth time in 2020 in Brain City Berlin. This year the conference will feature around 50 side events which will be spread around the entire city over a whole week. The organisers are expecting around 1000 experts, specialist visitors and AI enthusiasts from all over the world for the two-day conference itself. There will be talks, workshops, speed-networking and an exhibitor area.
As the biggest networking event in the Life Sciences and Healthcare industry in Berlin Brandenburg, the BIONNALE brings together over 900 representatives from science and industry for one day in one location: “Urania” in Berlin-Schöneberg. As well as talks, matchmaking sessions and entrepreneur pitches, the programme includes an exhibitor show, as well as site visits to regional companies and research institutes. An evening reception, where the BIONNALE Speed Lecture Award will be presented, will round off the event.
No matter whether it is the latest technology, current research results, diagnostic methods or the application of artificial intelligence: At the 53rd EUROPEAN HUMAN GENETICS CONFERENCE it is all about the subject of human genetics. The training of future generations of human geneticists will also come under the spotlight at the specialist international conference which will take place for the second time in the Brain City Berlin. As well as first-class talks and presentations from scientists from all over the world, the conference will also focus on professional exchange at a high level and, of course, on networking.
This year, the Berlin and Potsdam Long Night of the Sciences (LNDW) will celebrate its 20th birthday. More than 60 scientific and research institutes will once again open their doors for a night to visitors from Berlin and the region. The programme includes over 2,000 events, readings, lectures, workshops, performances and experiments. The guiding theme of the LNDW in its anniversary year: Education, science and research are the answer to fake news and fatal errors. The organizers and member institutes of the LNDW are consciously taking a stand against deliberate fake news and the denial of facts.
“We have to inspire and bring along as many people as possible”, says Nico Rosberg. To accelerate the change needed with regard to green technology, the former Formula 1 world champion, along with the two engineers and entrepreneurs Marco Voigt and Sven Krüger, set up the Greentech Festival in the former Tempelhof Airport. The three-day event will become a showcase for a green future once more in 2020. The GREEN AWARDS are awarded to the most innovative green projects and pioneers worldwide.
2,500 participants and 300 speakers from around 100 countries - the World Health Summit, which takes place annually in Berlin, is one of the most important international conferences on the subject of global health. Leading representatives from the world of science, business, politics and civic society come to Berlin to discuss questions relating to global health, discuss recommendations and formulate demands. The World Heath Summit was founded in 2009 at the Charité. Aim of the conference: To improve worldwide health in scientific independence through open dialogue and cooperation.
Berlin Science Week clearly shows that the Brain City Berlin is a worldwide, leading location for science. The ten-day international science festival brings together more than 130 events at several locations throughout Berlin. It offers anyone interested in science and research an international platform for the exchange of ideas regarding the most important scientific subjects of our times, as well as a networking opportunity. One highlight in the context of Berlin Science Week is the Falling Walls Conference Berlin. On the historically important date of 9th November, international experts and next-generation researchers will present their groundbreaking research projects in Berlin.
- Facts & Events Credit: Element5 Digital on UnsplashFacts & EventsFor three semesters, teaching and studying in the Brain City Berlin took place predominantly online. The lecture halls, seminar rooms, laboratories…→
Good Prerequisites: Semester Start 2021/22
- Facts & Events Credit: Tag der Deutschen Einheit Halle (Saale)Facts & EventsOn 3 October, Brain City Berlin will be represented with the “Berlin Cube” at the EinheitsEXPO in Saxony-Anhalt.→
#BRAINCITYBERLIN at the Day of German Unity
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsThe Berlin universities of applied sciences – four State and two denominational – are celebrating their anniversaries. On the occasion of the joint…→
50 Years – 50 Stories
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsWith the science fair “Tabula rasa - Science you can touch”, Urania Berlin offers 40 young scientists a public forum. The application deadline is 1…→
Wanted: innovative and creative ideas from science and research!
- Facts & Events ©Martin Sanchez on UnsplashFacts & EventsOpening perspectives for Berlin universities: In the winter semester of 2021/22, most teaching and studying will once again take place in attendance.…→
Coronavirus – What is happening in the Brain City Berlin?
- Facts & Events Credit: Lars HübnerFacts & EventsBrain City Ambassador Professor Dr. Christian Drosten has been awarded the Berliner Wissenschaftspreis 2020 for his outstanding research achievements.…→
Berliner Wissenschaftspreis 2020 for Christian Drosten
- Facts & Events Credit: Harf Zimmermann/3-D-Visualisierung: Tonio FreitagFacts & EventsBerlin celebrates science. We’ve put together a few highlights for you.→
"Wissensstadt Berlin 2021" – Our Top 10 Events
- Facts & Events Foto: @Harf Zimmermann, 3-D-Visualisierung@ Tonio FreitagFacts & Events“Berlin wants to know”: “Wissensstadt Berlin 2021” is getting underway with a large open-air exhibition in front of the Rotes Rathaus.→
“Wissensstadt Berlin 2021” – Festival of Research
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsAs part of the “Creative Cities Challenge”, the “Global Innovation Collaborative” is now looking for innovative solutions that will contribute to the…→
Apply until August 3: Call for Competition Entries “Creative Cities Challenge 2021”
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsThis year too, Berlin and Brandenburg expect a high level of participation in the innovation competition advertised by both States.→
Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award: apply until 21 June
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsCurrent technological developments in the field of life sciences, exchanges and networking will be the focus of BIONNALE on 12 May.→
BIONNALE 2021 – register now!
- Facts & Events Credit: ThisisEngeneering RAEng on UnsplashFacts & EventsIt is considered to be one of the most important instruments of Berlin's higher education equality policy: the “Berliner Chancengleichheitsprogramm”…→
Berlin Equal Opportunities Programme: 6 more years
- Facts & Events Credit: Berlin Partner/WüstenhagenFacts & EventsThe online event “Redefining the Smart City” on 23 and 24 March is inviting international researchers and Smart City experts to various workshops.The…→
International symposium on the subject of Smart Cities
- Facts & Events ThisisEngineering RAEng on UnsplashFacts & EventsBerlin universities are above the national average in terms of equality. In 2020, the state universities in the Brain City Berlin filled around half…→
Capital of Female Professors
- Facts & Events FU Berlin © Stephan Niespodziany, www.rejoyce.berlinFacts & EventsDigital, hybrid, or live in-person: in 2021, events in the Brain City Berlin will still be shaped by the restrictions of the coronavirus pandemic.…→
Brain City Berlin: Top 10 Events in 2021
- Facts & Events Matthias Heyde, HU BerlinFacts & EventsThe new Unter den Linden underground station is currently teeming with science. An exhibition organised by the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin shows…→
Exhibition tip: Science Underground
- Facts & Events left: TU Berlin, Pressestelle / right: Marten KörnerFacts & EventsSeveral researchers in Brain City Berlin have recently received top-class prize grants. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prizes were awarded to Prof. Dr…→
7 research awards for Berlin scientists
- Facts & Events Berlin Science WeekFacts & EventsWith more than 200 events and over 500 speakers, this year’s Berlin Science Week is bigger than ever before. However, the 2020 edition of the…→
Berlin Science Week 2020 – Digital and Global
- Facts & Events MPG © Hallbauer und FiorettiFacts & EventsThe Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has given top Berlin researcher Professor Dr Emmanuelle Charpentier and American Professor Dr Jennifer A. Doudna…→
2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry goes to Emmanuelle Charpentier: Congratulations!
- Facts & Events ©Mario Gogh/UnsplashFacts & EventsStart-ups arising from research being done at Berlin's universities are of major importance for the region's economy. As the “Gruendungsumfrage 2020”…→
Academic start-ups strengthen Berlin's economy
- Facts & Events ©Samuel HenneFacts & EventsThe exhibition MACHT NATUR at STATE Studio in Berlin focuses on the discomfort that many of us experience when faced with human intervention in…→
MACHT NATUR: an exhibition that asks questions
- Facts & Events ©visitBerlin/Sarah LindemannFacts & EventsReal-world Laboratories are bringing scientists together with practitioners to develop solutions to the questions of tomorrow in an experimental…→
The "StadtManufaktur Berlin" Exhibition: experiments to create a city worth living in
- Facts & Events LNDW/IrmischFacts & EventsThe Long Night of Sciences (Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften) has long been one of the highlights of the Brain City Berlin event calendar every June.…→
Long Night of the Sciences: this year as a podcast series
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Fotowerk – AdobeStockFacts & EventsThree new health care courses will start in the winter semester 2020/21 at the Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin (ASH Berlin).→
Apply now - 3 new health degree courses at the ASH Berlin
- Facts & Events © Futurium/Ali GhandtschiFacts & EventsFor all those who have not yet planned anything specific for the weekend - here are a few tips from the Brain City editorial team combining leisure…→
5 tips: Weekend in Brain City Berlin
- Facts & Events Fotocredit: #MIT Covid-19 ChallengeFacts & EventsApply for the #MIT Hackathon "Beat the Pandemic II" until 26 May! Experts from different fields are sought.→
"Beat the Pandemic II": Join the MIT COVID-19 Challenge
- Facts & Events ©BIT6Facts & EventsThe Coronvirusa crisis poses great challenges, especially for small and medium-sized companies. On 20 May, scientific experts will speak all day in…→
TRAO – digital transfer day on the 20th of May
- Facts & Events ©Paul Hahn PhotographyFacts & EventsBerlin's Senator for Economics, Ramona Pop, and Brandenburg's Minister of Economic Affairs, Jörgs Steinbach, have once again announced the search for…→
2020 Innovation Award: Apply by 22th June!
- Facts & Events © Beuth Hochschule / Karsten FlügelFacts & EventsBuildings, lecture halls and laboratories in the Brain City Berlin are currently closed to students, teachers and researchers due to the corona…→
COVID-19: Berlin universities are helping
- Facts & Events ©FMP/ Barth van RossumFacts & EventsUsing viruses against influenza, avian flu - and maybe soon also against Corona? An alliance of scientists from the Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für…→
Berlin research alliance develops influenza inhibitor
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin Pressestelle / DahlFacts & EventsThe coronavirus pandemic carries many risks, not only for individuals, but also for society. But how are the risks being perceived? And how are people…→
Risk perception in the coronavirus crisis: a survey from TU Berlin
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Marcel/UnsplashFacts & EventsBe it the greater mouse-eared bat, the brown long-eared bat, the serotine bat or the common noctule – bats feel particularly at home in Berlin. 18 of…→
Until 8th of March: Bat Capital seeks hobby researchers
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin PressestelleFacts & Events“Berlin Institute for the Foundations of Learning and Data” (BIFOLD) is the new organisation that the Berlin Big Data Center (BBDC) and the Berlin…→
AI Beacon for Berlin: Millions in funding from the German Federal Government and State of Berlin
- Facts & Events shutterstock © andersphotoFacts & EventsBerliners win six high-ranking research awards: a total of five outstanding scientists received awards from the European Research Council. And Berlin…→
Six awards announced for Berlin scientists
- Facts & Events ©IFAFFacts & Events22.11.2019 | Interdisciplinarity is a central characteristic of science and research in Berlin. This was most recently proven when the Berlin…→
IFAF Berlin marks 10th anniversary
- Facts & Events ©ADN BroadcastFacts & Events31.10.2019 | For the second time, a Falling Walls Lab was held in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, on 21 September 2019. The event was organized by…→
Brain City Ambassador organizes 2nd Falling Walls Lab in Tunis
- Facts & Events ©Berlin Science Week 2019Facts & Events23.10.2019 | Over 350 top researchers from all over the world, more than 130 events, and a new format: the "Berlin Science Campus". Berlin Science…→
10 days dedicated to science: Berlin Science Week 2019
- Facts & Events ©Marvin Meyer/UnsplashFacts & EventsMore students than ever before are expected to be enrolled at the colleges and universities in the Brain City Berlin by the winter semester 2019/20.…→
Start of the semester: 195,000 students expected | 17.10.2019
- Facts & Events Fu Berlin / Peter HirnselFacts & EventsBerlin is a cosmopolitan metropolis. People from more than 190 countries live and work in the city. More and more young, talented people who would…→
Berlin universities are extraordinarily international | 10.10.2019
- Facts & Events UVB 2019 / André WagenzikFacts & EventsBrain City Berlin is considered one of the leading locations in Germany working on artificial intelligence. Berlin science is an important driver of…→
Accelerating the digital transformation: TU Berlin and business associations intensify cooperation | 02.10.2019
- Facts & Events © ESMT Berlin/Fotografin: Annette KorrolFacts & EventsAlso a great outcome for Brain City Berlin: Özlem Bedre-Defolie, Associate Professor of Economics at the ESMT Berlin international business school has…→
On the trail of dominant platforms: ESMT Professor receives around 1.5 million euro in grant funding | 11.09.2019
- Facts & Events ©Futurium/David von BeckerFacts & EventsAlmost everyone's occupied with the future, because it's going to affect all of us. The Futurium, which opened yesterday in Brain City Berlin, invites…→
Creating public space for thinking in Brain City Berlin: the opening of the Futurium | 06.09.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Peitz/CharitéFacts & EventsThe Brain City Berlin once again gets top-class new scientists: The medician and epidemiologist Prof. Dr. Dr. Sabine Gabrysch is the first female…→
First nationwide professorship for climate change and health in Berlin | 26.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] OttobockFacts & EventsThe last school day in Berlin is over. Finally summer holidays! But some students might get bored while swimming all day in the Havel or the…→
Clever throughout the summer holidays | 19.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Florian ReimannFacts & EventsThe future of the city: what could it look like? That's what Berlin's CityLAB is busy thinking about and researching. The Berlin experimental…→
Laboratory for the digitalization of Berlin: CityLAB opens | 13.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] chris knight/unsplashFacts & EventsBerliners with foreign roots are extremely innovative. According to a short report by IW, the Cologne Institute for Economic Research, 16.1% of the…→
Berliners with a migration background especially inventive | 29.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] TU Berlin/DahlFacts & EventsBerlin is one of the most exciting centers for science and research in the world. Brain City Berlin is characterized by international and…→
Brain City Berlin: in free dialog with the world | 13.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsIn the globally recognized QS University Ranking, Berlin's universities performed very well in many disciplines. They are 30 times among the top 50…→
QS World University Ranking 2019 - Berlin Universities are among the world's best in many disciplines | 21.03.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] the climate reality project/usplashFacts & EventsAlready for the third time the international conference "I, Scientist" takes place in the Brain City Berlin. From 20 to 21 September 2019, students…→
Register now! "I, Scientist" - Gender Conference for Women Scientists | 25.07.2019