Long Night of the Sciences: this year as a podcast series
The Long Night of Sciences (Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften) has long been one of the highlights of the Brain City Berlin event calendar every June. This year everything is different: Due to Corona, the Long Night of Sciences has been brought into the digital space as a podcast series.
In cooperation with the Long Night of the Sciences and with the support of Brain City Berlin, Inforadio of Rundfunk Berlin Brandenburg (rbb) invites scientists from the region to discuss different topics. The first podcast features Brain City Ambassador Dr Jürgen Radel, Professor of Business Administration at HTW Berlin – University of Applied Sciences.
Even though research is often uncertain and often ends up raising more new questions than finding answers. Put your trust in it. The research clusters that we have here in Berlin are simply phenomenal.
(Brain City Ambassador Prof. Dr. Jürgen Radel)
“If you eat caviar every day, you'll eventually get sick of it. And for me that is symbolic for what is currently happening with digital media,” Professor Jürgen Radel says. The Brain City Ambassador is Professor of Business Administration at HTW Berlin – University of Applied Sciences and is also one of three Berlin researchers invited to the Berlin Broadcasting House for the first podcast episode in this year's "Long Night of the Sciences". A format implemented by rbb Inforadio in collaboration with the Long Night of the Sciences and with the support of the Brain City Berlin campaign.
This year, the "smartest night of the year" had to be cancelled due to the Corona virus pandemic. Scientific institutions, universities, and laboratories of the Brain City Berlin do not open their doors to visitors in real space as in previous years; instead, selected representatives will be speaking live as part of the podcast series. Well-known personalities from Berlin's research institutions as well as young talent will have their say. The podcast series is moderated by Inforadio science editor Thomas Prinzler.
A total of twelve episodes are planned for the new format. The discussion will centre on topics of the future, such as climate and nature conservation, digitalisation, and visions for a better world. To find solutions to the challenges of our time and emphasise the importance of science and research for our society sends a clear signal against dangerous fake news accounts and crude conspiracy theories.
Brain City Ambassador Prof. Dr. Jürgen Radel Dr.-Ing. Christine Eisenmann Prof. Dr. Ulrich Panne
- Brain City Ambassador Prof. Dr Jürgen Radel, Professor of Business Administration at HTW Berlin – University of Applied Sciences, his research focuses on change processes in companies. He talks about the changes that Corona brings to the working world.
- Dr. Christine Eisenmann is head of the working group on the "Transformation of Automobility" at the Institute of Transport Research at the German Aerospace Center (DLR). She uses her expertise to address possible changes in mobility behaviours in response to the crisis. During the lockdown, she conducted a study on mobility during a pandemic.
- Professor Dr Ulrich Panne is President of BAM, the Federal Institute for Materials Testing and Research, Deputy Chair of Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften e.V., and Chair of the research network of the Adlershof Technology Park (IGAFA). Among other things, he predicts that value chains will have to be reconsidered as a result of the pandemic.
The first episode of the podcast revolves around one topic that is currently affecting everyone: the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on cities like Berlin. It was posted online on 6 June, the originally date of the Long Night of the Sciences 2020. A highly topical prelude for a new format, "which will once again give us exciting insights into the work of our scientists", Governing Mayor of Berlin, Michael Müller, commented.
In the first episode, Brain City Ambassador Professor Jürgen Radel is rather sceptical that the pandemic-related trend towards working from home will continue in the future. “To be honest, I don't think everything will change after the virus. (...) But I'm also curious: this new discovery of Zoom, Teams, etc. - at the beginning everyone thought it was great. But, at some point, you just get fed up.” (vdo)
- Facts & Events Credit: Element5 Digital on UnsplashFacts & EventsFor three semesters, teaching and studying in the Brain City Berlin took place predominantly online. The lecture halls, seminar rooms, laboratories…→
Good Prerequisites: Semester Start 2021/22
- Facts & Events Credit: Tag der Deutschen Einheit Halle (Saale)Facts & EventsOn 3 October, Brain City Berlin will be represented with the “Berlin Cube” at the EinheitsEXPO in Saxony-Anhalt.→
#BRAINCITYBERLIN at the Day of German Unity
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsThe Berlin universities of applied sciences – four State and two denominational – are celebrating their anniversaries. On the occasion of the joint…→
50 Years – 50 Stories
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsWith the science fair “Tabula rasa - Science you can touch”, Urania Berlin offers 40 young scientists a public forum. The application deadline is 1…→
Wanted: innovative and creative ideas from science and research!
- Facts & Events ©Martin Sanchez on UnsplashFacts & EventsOpening perspectives for Berlin universities: In the winter semester of 2021/22, most teaching and studying will once again take place in attendance.…→
Coronavirus – What is happening in the Brain City Berlin?
- Facts & Events Credit: Lars HübnerFacts & EventsBrain City Ambassador Professor Dr. Christian Drosten has been awarded the Berliner Wissenschaftspreis 2020 for his outstanding research achievements.…→
Berliner Wissenschaftspreis 2020 for Christian Drosten
- Facts & Events Credit: Harf Zimmermann/3-D-Visualisierung: Tonio FreitagFacts & EventsBerlin celebrates science. We’ve put together a few highlights for you.→
"Wissensstadt Berlin 2021" – Our Top 10 Events
- Facts & Events Foto: @Harf Zimmermann, 3-D-Visualisierung@ Tonio FreitagFacts & Events“Berlin wants to know”: “Wissensstadt Berlin 2021” is getting underway with a large open-air exhibition in front of the Rotes Rathaus.→
“Wissensstadt Berlin 2021” – Festival of Research
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsAs part of the “Creative Cities Challenge”, the “Global Innovation Collaborative” is now looking for innovative solutions that will contribute to the…→
Apply until August 3: Call for Competition Entries “Creative Cities Challenge 2021”
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsThis year too, Berlin and Brandenburg expect a high level of participation in the innovation competition advertised by both States.→
Berlin Brandenburg Innovation Award: apply until 21 June
- Facts & EventsFacts & EventsCurrent technological developments in the field of life sciences, exchanges and networking will be the focus of BIONNALE on 12 May.→
BIONNALE 2021 – register now!
- Facts & Events Credit: ThisisEngeneering RAEng on UnsplashFacts & EventsIt is considered to be one of the most important instruments of Berlin's higher education equality policy: the “Berliner Chancengleichheitsprogramm”…→
Berlin Equal Opportunities Programme: 6 more years
- Facts & Events Credit: Berlin Partner/WüstenhagenFacts & EventsThe online event “Redefining the Smart City” on 23 and 24 March is inviting international researchers and Smart City experts to various workshops.The…→
International symposium on the subject of Smart Cities
- Facts & Events ThisisEngineering RAEng on UnsplashFacts & EventsBerlin universities are above the national average in terms of equality. In 2020, the state universities in the Brain City Berlin filled around half…→
Capital of Female Professors
- Facts & Events FU Berlin © Stephan Niespodziany, www.rejoyce.berlinFacts & EventsDigital, hybrid, or live in-person: in 2021, events in the Brain City Berlin will still be shaped by the restrictions of the coronavirus pandemic.…→
Brain City Berlin: Top 10 Events in 2021
- Facts & Events Matthias Heyde, HU BerlinFacts & EventsThe new Unter den Linden underground station is currently teeming with science. An exhibition organised by the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin shows…→
Exhibition tip: Science Underground
- Facts & Events left: TU Berlin, Pressestelle / right: Marten KörnerFacts & EventsSeveral researchers in Brain City Berlin have recently received top-class prize grants. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prizes were awarded to Prof. Dr…→
7 research awards for Berlin scientists
- Facts & Events Berlin Science WeekFacts & EventsWith more than 200 events and over 500 speakers, this year’s Berlin Science Week is bigger than ever before. However, the 2020 edition of the…→
Berlin Science Week 2020 – Digital and Global
- Facts & Events MPG © Hallbauer und FiorettiFacts & EventsThe Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has given top Berlin researcher Professor Dr Emmanuelle Charpentier and American Professor Dr Jennifer A. Doudna…→
2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry goes to Emmanuelle Charpentier: Congratulations!
- Facts & Events ©Mario Gogh/UnsplashFacts & EventsStart-ups arising from research being done at Berlin's universities are of major importance for the region's economy. As the “Gruendungsumfrage 2020”…→
Academic start-ups strengthen Berlin's economy
- Facts & Events ©Samuel HenneFacts & EventsThe exhibition MACHT NATUR at STATE Studio in Berlin focuses on the discomfort that many of us experience when faced with human intervention in…→
MACHT NATUR: an exhibition that asks questions
- Facts & Events ©visitBerlin/Sarah LindemannFacts & EventsReal-world Laboratories are bringing scientists together with practitioners to develop solutions to the questions of tomorrow in an experimental…→
The "StadtManufaktur Berlin" Exhibition: experiments to create a city worth living in
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Fotowerk – AdobeStockFacts & EventsThree new health care courses will start in the winter semester 2020/21 at the Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin (ASH Berlin).→
Apply now - 3 new health degree courses at the ASH Berlin
- Facts & Events © Futurium/Ali GhandtschiFacts & EventsFor all those who have not yet planned anything specific for the weekend - here are a few tips from the Brain City editorial team combining leisure…→
5 tips: Weekend in Brain City Berlin
- Facts & Events Fotocredit: #MIT Covid-19 ChallengeFacts & EventsApply for the #MIT Hackathon "Beat the Pandemic II" until 26 May! Experts from different fields are sought.→
"Beat the Pandemic II": Join the MIT COVID-19 Challenge
- Facts & Events ©BIT6Facts & EventsThe Coronvirusa crisis poses great challenges, especially for small and medium-sized companies. On 20 May, scientific experts will speak all day in…→
TRAO – digital transfer day on the 20th of May
- Facts & Events ©Paul Hahn PhotographyFacts & EventsBerlin's Senator for Economics, Ramona Pop, and Brandenburg's Minister of Economic Affairs, Jörgs Steinbach, have once again announced the search for…→
2020 Innovation Award: Apply by 22th June!
- Facts & Events © Beuth Hochschule / Karsten FlügelFacts & EventsBuildings, lecture halls and laboratories in the Brain City Berlin are currently closed to students, teachers and researchers due to the corona…→
COVID-19: Berlin universities are helping
- Facts & Events ©FMP/ Barth van RossumFacts & EventsUsing viruses against influenza, avian flu - and maybe soon also against Corona? An alliance of scientists from the Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für…→
Berlin research alliance develops influenza inhibitor
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin Pressestelle / DahlFacts & EventsThe coronavirus pandemic carries many risks, not only for individuals, but also for society. But how are the risks being perceived? And how are people…→
Risk perception in the coronavirus crisis: a survey from TU Berlin
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] ©Marcel/UnsplashFacts & EventsBe it the greater mouse-eared bat, the brown long-eared bat, the serotine bat or the common noctule – bats feel particularly at home in Berlin. 18 of…→
Until 8th of March: Bat Capital seeks hobby researchers
- Facts & Events © Falling Walls FoundationFacts & EventsWhether it is Berlin Science Week, Long Night of the Sciences or the Greentech Festival - the Berlin Science Year 2020 promises to be at least as…→
Brain City Berlin 2020: 10 Event Highlights
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin PressestelleFacts & Events“Berlin Institute for the Foundations of Learning and Data” (BIFOLD) is the new organisation that the Berlin Big Data Center (BBDC) and the Berlin…→
AI Beacon for Berlin: Millions in funding from the German Federal Government and State of Berlin
- Facts & Events shutterstock © andersphotoFacts & EventsBerliners win six high-ranking research awards: a total of five outstanding scientists received awards from the European Research Council. And Berlin…→
Six awards announced for Berlin scientists
- Facts & Events ©IFAFFacts & Events22.11.2019 | Interdisciplinarity is a central characteristic of science and research in Berlin. This was most recently proven when the Berlin…→
IFAF Berlin marks 10th anniversary
- Facts & Events ©ADN BroadcastFacts & Events31.10.2019 | For the second time, a Falling Walls Lab was held in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, on 21 September 2019. The event was organized by…→
Brain City Ambassador organizes 2nd Falling Walls Lab in Tunis
- Facts & Events ©Berlin Science Week 2019Facts & Events23.10.2019 | Over 350 top researchers from all over the world, more than 130 events, and a new format: the "Berlin Science Campus". Berlin Science…→
10 days dedicated to science: Berlin Science Week 2019
- Facts & Events ©Marvin Meyer/UnsplashFacts & EventsMore students than ever before are expected to be enrolled at the colleges and universities in the Brain City Berlin by the winter semester 2019/20.…→
Start of the semester: 195,000 students expected | 17.10.2019
- Facts & Events Fu Berlin / Peter HirnselFacts & EventsBerlin is a cosmopolitan metropolis. People from more than 190 countries live and work in the city. More and more young, talented people who would…→
Berlin universities are extraordinarily international | 10.10.2019
- Facts & Events UVB 2019 / André WagenzikFacts & EventsBrain City Berlin is considered one of the leading locations in Germany working on artificial intelligence. Berlin science is an important driver of…→
Accelerating the digital transformation: TU Berlin and business associations intensify cooperation | 02.10.2019
- Facts & Events © ESMT Berlin/Fotografin: Annette KorrolFacts & EventsAlso a great outcome for Brain City Berlin: Özlem Bedre-Defolie, Associate Professor of Economics at the ESMT Berlin international business school has…→
On the trail of dominant platforms: ESMT Professor receives around 1.5 million euro in grant funding | 11.09.2019
- Facts & Events ©Futurium/David von BeckerFacts & EventsAlmost everyone's occupied with the future, because it's going to affect all of us. The Futurium, which opened yesterday in Brain City Berlin, invites…→
Creating public space for thinking in Brain City Berlin: the opening of the Futurium | 06.09.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Peitz/CharitéFacts & EventsThe Brain City Berlin once again gets top-class new scientists: The medician and epidemiologist Prof. Dr. Dr. Sabine Gabrysch is the first female…→
First nationwide professorship for climate change and health in Berlin | 26.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] OttobockFacts & EventsThe last school day in Berlin is over. Finally summer holidays! But some students might get bored while swimming all day in the Havel or the…→
Clever throughout the summer holidays | 19.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Florian ReimannFacts & EventsThe future of the city: what could it look like? That's what Berlin's CityLAB is busy thinking about and researching. The Berlin experimental…→
Laboratory for the digitalization of Berlin: CityLAB opens | 13.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] chris knight/unsplashFacts & EventsBerliners with foreign roots are extremely innovative. According to a short report by IW, the Cologne Institute for Economic Research, 16.1% of the…→
Berliners with a migration background especially inventive | 29.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] TU Berlin/DahlFacts & EventsBerlin is one of the most exciting centers for science and research in the world. Brain City Berlin is characterized by international and…→
Brain City Berlin: in free dialog with the world | 13.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsIn the globally recognized QS University Ranking, Berlin's universities performed very well in many disciplines. They are 30 times among the top 50…→
QS World University Ranking 2019 - Berlin Universities are among the world's best in many disciplines | 21.03.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] the climate reality project/usplashFacts & EventsAlready for the third time the international conference "I, Scientist" takes place in the Brain City Berlin. From 20 to 21 September 2019, students…→
Register now! "I, Scientist" - Gender Conference for Women Scientists | 25.07.2019