IFAF Berlin marks 10th anniversary
Interdisciplinarity is a central characteristic of science and research in Berlin. This was most recently proven when the Berlin University Alliance was awarded the title of Excellence University. IFAF Berlin, the Institute for Applied Research supports the interdisciplinary, application-focused cooperation of four Berlin universities of applied sciences. It is currently marking its tenth anniversary.
Four Berlin universities belong to the IFAF network: Alice Salomon (ASH), Beuth Berlin (BHT), HTW University of Applied Sciences Berlin, and the Berlin School of Economics and Law (HWR). IFAF was founded in 2009 as an institute for applied research, tasked with addressing two main questions: "How can universities of applied sciences intensify their research activities?" and: "How can companies and society benefit from the knowledge found at universities of applied sciences?"
A lot has since changed: the four universities have collaborated intensively on more than 80 projects over the last ten years. At the same time, more than 280 partners in industry and the wider society have answered various application-oriented questions. IFAF-funded research covers a wide range of topics: optimizing 3-D printing, logistics issues related to eCommerce, transmission of data to solve bicycle thefts, gendered differences in start-ups, the potential for low-emissions mobility, and issues relating to care work.
"In the 10 years since the founding of IFAF Berlin, the research activities at the IFAF universities have become significantly more interdisciplinary," Professor Olaf Neumann, Chairman of IFAF Berlin and Vice-Rector of Alice Salomon Berlin, explains. He clearly attributes this intensification of cooperation to IFAF funding.
Michael Müller, Berlin's Governing Mayor and Senator for Science and Research, said at the IFAF anniversary celebration that Berlin's universities of applied sciences today provide important impetus in application-oriented research and are thus driving innovation: "IFAF Berlin is also an example of the spirit of cooperation that drives Berlin's scientific community. I hope that IFAF Berlin will continue to be a strong partner at our side," said Müller.
IFAF Berlin funds an average of eight research projects per year. In each of these projects, two of the four universities work with at least one partner in business or the wider society. The Berlin universities' cross-institutional research is funded by Einstein Foundation Berlin, also launched in 2009 by the State of Berlin. (vdo)
- Funding for around 85 projects
- €16 million invested by the State of Berlin
- Networking of: over 20 practice partners with around 200 professors, more than 160 researchers and 250 students
- Facts & Events ADN BroadcastFacts & Events31.10.2019 | For the second time, a Falling Walls Lab was held in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, on 21 September 2019. The event was organized by...→
Brain City Ambassador organizes 2nd Falling Walls Lab in Tunis
- Facts & Events Berlin Science Week 2019Facts & Events23.10.2019 | Over 350 top researchers from all over the world, more than 130 events, and a new format: the "Berlin Science Campus". Berlin Science...→
10 days dedicated to science: Berlin Science Week 2019
- Facts & Events Marvin Meyer/UnsplashFacts & EventsSo viele Studierende wie noch nie werden voraussichtlich zum Wintersemester 2019/20 an den Hochschulen und Universitäten der Brain City Berlin...→
Semesterstart: 195.000 Studierende erwartet | 17.10.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Fu Berlin / Peter HirnselFacts & EventsBerlin is a cosmopolitan metropolis. People from more than 190 countries live and work in the city. More and more young, talented people who would...→
Berlin universities are extraordinarily international | 10.10.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] UVB 2019 / André WagenzikFacts & EventsBrain City Berlin is considered one of the leading locations in Germany working on artificial intelligence. Berlin science is an important driver of...→
Accelerating the digital transformation: TU Berlin and business associations intensify cooperation | 02.10.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsAlso a great outcome for Brain City Berlin: Özlem Bedre-Defolie, Associate Professor of Economics at the ESMT Berlin international business school has...→
On the trail of dominant platforms: ESMT Professor receives around 1.5 million euro in grant funding | 11.09.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Futurium/David von BeckerFacts & EventsAlmost everyone's occupied with the future, because it's going to affect all of us. The Futurium, which opened yesterday in Brain City Berlin, invites...→
Creating public space for thinking in Brain City Berlin: the opening of the Futurium | 06.09.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Marcel/UnsplashFacts & EventsBe it the greater mouse-eared bat, the brown long-eared bat, the serotine bat or the common noctule – bats feel particularly at home in Berlin. 18 of...→
Until 4th of August: Bat Capital seeks hobby researchers | 01.08.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] the climate reality project/usplashFacts & EventsAlready for the third time the international conference "I, Scientist" takes place in the Brain City Berlin. From 20 to 21 September 2019, students...→
Register now! "I, Scientist" - Gender Conference for Women Scientists | 25.07.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Peitz/CharitéFacts & EventsThe Brain City Berlin once again gets top-class new scientists: The medician and epidemiologist Prof. Dr. Dr. Sabine Gabrysch is the first female...→
First nationwide professorship for climate change and health in Berlin | 26.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] OttobockFacts & EventsThe last school day in Berlin is over. Finally summer holidays! But some students might get bored while swimming all day in the Havel or the...→
Clever throughout the summer holidays | 19.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Florian ReimannFacts & EventsThe future of the city: what could it look like? That's what Berlin's CityLAB is busy thinking about and researching. The Berlin experimental...→
Laboratory for the digitalization of Berlin: CityLAB opens | 13.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] chris knight/unsplashFacts & EventsBerliners with foreign roots are extremely innovative. According to a short report by IW, the Cologne Institute for Economic Research, 16.1% of the...→
Berliners with a migration background especially inventive | 29.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] TU Berlin/DahlFacts & EventsBerlin is one of the most exciting centers for science and research in the world. Brain City Berlin is characterized by international and...→
Brain City Berlin: in free dialog with the world | 13.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsIn the globally recognized QS University Ranking, Berlin's universities performed very well in many disciplines. They are 30 times among the top 50...→
QS World University Ranking 2019 - Berlin Universities are among the world's best in many disciplines | 21.03.2019