Fotocredit: #MIT Covid-19 Challenge20.05.2020
"Beat the Pandemic II": Join the MIT COVID-19 Challenge
Content uid: 
Experts from a wide range of disciplines can now apply as participants or mentors for the second „Beat the Pandemic" hackathon until May 26. The virtual event, which takes place from May 29-31, as part of the publicly announced MIT COVID-19 Challenge series will focus on the most pressing issues that have arisen after several month of the ongoing pandemic. Berlin life science companies along with other prominent players of the Brain City Berlin have joined as partners.
For month, the Covid-19 virus has been challenging the world with new issues. After the first weeks of containing and fighting the pandemic, questions such as "How can we safely return to 'normality'?" or "How can we prepare for a resurgence of Corona?" arise.
Looking for innovative approaches to combat the crisis, the renowned Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has launched the MIT-COVID-19 Challenge Series "Beat the Pandemic". The idea of the worldwide hackathon is to bring together the knowledge of experts from different disciplines to find unusual solutions for current problems. Participants from science, industry, universities, government and non-profit organizations, amongst others, will work virtually in interdisciplinary teams for 48 hours. The best of the ideas will be selected by a jury of experts and then implemented together with partners of the challenge.
Berlin companies and institutions are also supporting the event - such as Bayer, Takeda, Johnson & Johnson and Berlin Partner. The health care industry in the Brain City region has already joined forces in the fight against COVID-19 in recent weeks with various virtual competitions and corporate initiatives.
Anyone with a professional or academic background who wants to make a difference and enjoys working in a team can participate in the challenge. Technical or medical know-how is welcome, but not required. The organizers are looking for active team players, but also mentors. Students can also apply. The hackathon also offers all participants the opportunity to exchange ideas with experts from various fields and network along the way.
Like the first public hackathon of the MIT COVID-19 Challenge Series in April, the schedule of the event is structured clearly: On May 29th, teams of five to seven participants will work together on solutions for key problems. Over the weekend, mentors will support the teams in refining their ideas. And on May 31 their work will finally be presented to a jury. The teams with the most promising ideas will further develop and possibly implement their solutions after the hackathon with the assistance of partners of the event. They will also receive a small prize money.
For the first MIT hackathon "Beat the Pandemic I”, about 4,500 volunteers applied. Of these, 1,750 participants were selected, and then distributed among 208 teams. In 48 hours, the teams developed a total of 199 innovative solutions. If you would like to know more: Until May 22, 2020 teams of the first session will be pitching their ideas in the form of Pandemic Pitch Webinars.
The application deadline for "Beat the Pandemic II" is Tuesday, May 26.
Content uid: 
- Facts & Events ©Fotowerk – AdobeStockFacts & EventsGleich drei neue Gesundheitsstudiengänge starten zum Wintersemester 2020/21 an der Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin (ASH Berlin).→
Jetzt bewerben: 3 neue Gesundheitsstudiengänge an der ASH Berlin
- Facts & Events © Futurium/Ali GhandtschiFacts & EventsFür all diejenigen, die für die Pfingstfeiertage noch nichts Konkretes geplant haben – hier ein paar Empfehlungen der Brain City-Redaktion, um...→
5 Tipps: zu Pfingsten in der Brain City Berlin
- Facts & Events ©BIT6Facts & EventsThe Coronvirusa crisis poses great challenges, especially for small and medium-sized companies. On 20 May, scientific experts will speak all day in...→
TRAO – digital transfer day on the 20th of May
- Facts & Events ©Paul Hahn PhotographyFacts & EventsBerlin's Senator for Economics, Ramona Pop, and Brandenburg's Minister of Economic Affairs, Jörgs Steinbach, have once again announced the search for...→
2020 Innovation Award: Apply by 22th June!
- Facts & Events © Beuth Hochschule / Karsten FlügelFacts & EventsBuildings, lecture halls and laboratories in the Brain City Berlin are currently closed to students, teachers and researchers due to the corona...→
COVID-19: Berlin universities are helping
- Facts & Events ©FMP/ Barth van RossumFacts & EventsUsing viruses against influenza, avian flu - and maybe soon also against Corona? An alliance of scientists from the Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für...→
Berlin research alliance develops influenza inhibitor
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin Pressestelle / DahlFacts & EventsThe coronavirus pandemic carries many risks, not only for individuals, but also for society. But how are the risks being perceived? And how are people...→
Risk perception in the coronavirus crisis: a survey from TU Berlin
- Facts & Events ©Martin Sanchez on UnsplashFacts & EventsAt the moment, Berlin’s universities and colleges are in emergency operation. The same applies to the non-university research institutions of the...→
Coronavirus – What is happening in the Brain City Berlin?
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Marcel/UnsplashFacts & EventsBe it the greater mouse-eared bat, the brown long-eared bat, the serotine bat or the common noctule – bats feel particularly at home in Berlin. 18 of...→
Until 8th of March: Bat Capital seeks hobby researchers
- Facts & Events © Falling Walls FoundationFacts & EventsWhether it is Berlin Science Week, Long Night of the Sciences or the Greentech Festival - the Berlin Science Year 2020 promises to be at least as...→
Brain City Berlin 2020: 10 Event Highlights
- Facts & Events ©TU Berlin PressestelleFacts & Events“Berlin Institute for the Foundations of Learning and Data” (BIFOLD) is the new organisation that the Berlin Big Data Center (BBDC) and the Berlin...→
AI Beacon for Berlin: Millions in funding from the German Federal Government and State of Berlin
- Facts & Events shutterstock © andersphotoFacts & EventsBerliners win six high-ranking research awards: a total of five outstanding scientists received awards from the European Research Council. And Berlin...→
Six awards announced for Berlin scientists
- Facts & Events ©IFAFFacts & Events22.11.2019 | Interdisciplinarity is a central characteristic of science and research in Berlin. This was most recently proven when the Berlin...→
IFAF Berlin marks 10th anniversary
- Facts & Events ©ADN BroadcastFacts & Events31.10.2019 | For the second time, a Falling Walls Lab was held in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, on 21 September 2019. The event was organized by...→
Brain City Ambassador organizes 2nd Falling Walls Lab in Tunis
- Facts & Events ©Berlin Science Week 2019Facts & Events23.10.2019 | Over 350 top researchers from all over the world, more than 130 events, and a new format: the "Berlin Science Campus". Berlin Science...→
10 days dedicated to science: Berlin Science Week 2019
- Facts & Events Marvin Meyer/UnsplashFacts & EventsMore students than ever before are expected to be enrolled at the colleges and universities in the Brain City Berlin by the winter semester 2019/20....→
Start of the semester: 195,000 students expected | 17.10.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Fu Berlin / Peter HirnselFacts & EventsBerlin is a cosmopolitan metropolis. People from more than 190 countries live and work in the city. More and more young, talented people who would...→
Berlin universities are extraordinarily international | 10.10.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] UVB 2019 / André WagenzikFacts & EventsBrain City Berlin is considered one of the leading locations in Germany working on artificial intelligence. Berlin science is an important driver of...→
Accelerating the digital transformation: TU Berlin and business associations intensify cooperation | 02.10.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsAlso a great outcome for Brain City Berlin: Özlem Bedre-Defolie, Associate Professor of Economics at the ESMT Berlin international business school has...→
On the trail of dominant platforms: ESMT Professor receives around 1.5 million euro in grant funding | 11.09.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsAlmost everyone's occupied with the future, because it's going to affect all of us. The Futurium, which opened yesterday in Brain City Berlin, invites...→
Creating public space for thinking in Brain City Berlin: the opening of the Futurium | 06.09.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Peitz/CharitéFacts & EventsThe Brain City Berlin once again gets top-class new scientists: The medician and epidemiologist Prof. Dr. Dr. Sabine Gabrysch is the first female...→
First nationwide professorship for climate change and health in Berlin | 26.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] OttobockFacts & EventsThe last school day in Berlin is over. Finally summer holidays! But some students might get bored while swimming all day in the Havel or the...→
Clever throughout the summer holidays | 19.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] Florian ReimannFacts & EventsThe future of the city: what could it look like? That's what Berlin's CityLAB is busy thinking about and researching. The Berlin experimental...→
Laboratory for the digitalization of Berlin: CityLAB opens | 13.06.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] chris knight/unsplashFacts & EventsBerliners with foreign roots are extremely innovative. According to a short report by IW, the Cologne Institute for Economic Research, 16.1% of the...→
Berliners with a migration background especially inventive | 29.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] TU Berlin/DahlFacts & EventsBerlin is one of the most exciting centers for science and research in the world. Brain City Berlin is characterized by international and...→
Brain City Berlin: in free dialog with the world | 13.05.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:]Facts & EventsIn the globally recognized QS University Ranking, Berlin's universities performed very well in many disciplines. They are 30 times among the top 50...→
QS World University Ranking 2019 - Berlin Universities are among the world's best in many disciplines | 21.03.2019
- Facts & Events [Translate to English:] the climate reality project/usplashFacts & EventsAlready for the third time the international conference "I, Scientist" takes place in the Brain City Berlin. From 20 to 21 September 2019, students...→
Register now! "I, Scientist" - Gender Conference for Women Scientists | 25.07.2019