© IFAF Berlin/Christian Pérez23.10.2019
Prof. Dr. Iman Attia | Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin
Professor Dr. Iman Attia teaches and researches Critical Diversity Studies at the ASH Berlin. Her focus is on racism and migration. Since the early 1990s, she has been dealing with (anti-Muslim) racism from a global historical, post- and decolonial, post-/nazistic, relational and intersectional perspective.
Brain City Berlin: Mrs. Attia, how would you describe your research focus?
Attia: Research on racism examines the contexts, forms, and effects of racism as well as the relationship and interweaving of different types of racism to one another and to other social power relations. It also focuses on the questioning of historical types of racism in current living conditions and patterns of interpretations. Furthermore, it reflects the contradictory and ambivalent entanglements of actors in racist structures and discourses, the different positions and perspectives of subjects, resisting voices and movements, and much more.
Brain City Berlin: What is the most exciting aspect of your research?
Attia: It is exciting to learn about the relationship between historical events, political decisions, cultural interpretations, and subjective positioning. Amongst others, the following questions arise in connection with racism research: How do colonialism and National Socialism continue to have an effect? Why is the Middle East conflict so emotionally charged in Germany? What are the consequences of social segregation for coexistence? How do people of colour deal with inclusion and exclusion? How about the avoidance of discourse of their narratives and perspectives? What happens when they become visible and are heard?
Brain City Berlin: What do you like about life in Berlin?
Attia: The presence and alliances of different communities of colour.
Brain City Berlin: Which partnerships do help your research?
Attia: Cooperation with activist researchers and research activists.
The cooperation between different actors of knowledge production in research, civil rights movements, and activism is stimulating and enriching.
Brain City Berlin: What are the advantages of Berlin over other research locations?
Attia: Each location has its advantages: racism research in Berlin benefits from the diversity of social and civil rights movements and the small projects of people of colour with their different areas of focus. This means that academic knowledge production is met with relevant issues, can cooperate with committed actors, and the research results are useful.
Brain City Berlin: Do you have any recommendations for young people interested in studying in Berlin?
Attia: Newcomers to Berlin should plan their time before starting their studies in order to get involved in the city off the beaten tourist track and to let it have its effect on them. They should also try to find their niche from the wide range of universities, research institutions, and libraries where they’ll find inspiration, but also leisure in order to be able to work well.
Brain City Berlin: What developments would you like to see in the city?
Attia: Shorter routes or better connection between the locations. A more easy-going atmosphere and less of the “Berliner Schnauze” attitude.
Brain City Berlin: What do you wish for the future of the sciences in Berlin?
Attia: Better facilities in particular at the universities (of applied sciences), in particular the right to award doctorates and the expansion of the non-professional teaching staff.
Brain City Berlin: What message would you like to send to Brain City Berlin?
Attia: The cooperation between different actors of knowledge production in research, civil rights movements, and activism is stimulating and enriching.
- Credit: Berlin Partner/Fotostudio CharlottenburgAs a result of its historical development, Berlin offers a complex and stimulating environment on many levels. This open climate nourishes scientific…→
Brain City Ambassador Dr. Carsten Hucho
- Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin (HWR Berlin) [Translate to English:]Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin (HWR Berlin)Berlin’s dynamic environment provides me with everything I need to work successfully: committed students and companies that are eager to cooperate.→
Prof. Dr. Birgit Felden
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin [Translate to English:]Humboldt-Universität zu BerlinThe excellent research environment in Berlin motivates me. It inspires me to work in collaboration with a variety of institutions.→
Prof. Dr. Jule Specht
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin © Philipp JesterCharité - Universitätsmedizin BerlinBerlin's research landscape is characterized by change and progress. There is a unique energy here.→
Prof. Dr. Christian Drosten
- International School of Management (ISM) Berlin ©Hendrik RauchInternational School of Management (ISM) BerlinThe city is a hotspot for new talents and leadership personalities in established organisations, whose interfaces can turn creative potential into…→
Prof. Dr. René Sadowski
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin: an explosive mix of scientific and technological competence with a young startup scene. One of a kind.→
Dr.-Ing. Alexander Willner
- Touro College BerlinTouro College BerlinI wholeheartedly support the efforts to include a wider variety of researchers and institutions in the Brain City Berlin.→
Prof. Larisa Buhin, Ph.D.
- SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences Foto: SRH Berlin/Anabel Ternès von HattburgSRH Berlin University of Applied SciencesBerlin offers diversity. The options available and the internationality make the city exciting for scientists form all over the world.→
Brain City Ambassador Prof. Dr. Anabel Ternès von Hattburg
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin © Rufus LaneCharité - Universitätsmedizin BerlinThe density of the scientific locations in Berlin and also the networking within European networks brings a lively and dynamic element into research.→
Prof. Dr. Julia Leinweber
- Technische Universität Berlin © Obiri-Yeboah MensahTechnische Universität BerlinOnce a Berliner always a Berliner. The vibrant City of Berlin has a lot to offer the world in terms of high quality research programs and…→
- Touro College Berlin ©Stefanie ZwislerTouro College BerlinBerlin constantly offers new inspiration, new ideas, new encounters: this is ideal for researchers!→
Prof. Dr. Anna Klippstein
- Freie Universität Berlin Olga Makarova CC BY 4.0Freie Universität BerlinThe best part about living and working in Berlin is the sheer number of options available, both professionally and culturally.“→
Olga Makarova, PhD
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin ©Dr. Aderajew WakaCharité - Universitätsmedizin BerlinBerlin is a very dynamic city as well as a university city. I am very thankful for being able to do research in Berlin because the scientific…→
Dr. Aderajew Waka
- Touro College BerlinTouro College BerlinSocial research is just as creative as Berlin!→
Prof. Özen Odağ
- Leibniz-Institut für Kristallzüchtung [Translate to English:]Leibniz-Institut für KristallzüchtungBerlin is the capital of scientific potential.→
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Matthias Bickermann
- LifeGlimmer GmbH ©Christopher HardtLifeGlimmer GmbHIn Berlin, you can find an excellent mix of small and medium-sized research companies, as well as large firms, scientific institutes, universities and…→
- Ägyptisches Museum und Papyrussammlung ©Geza AndoÄgyptisches Museum und PapyrussammlungDie unglaublich große und farbenfrohe Museumsszene, die vielen Vernissagen und Finissagen, Konferenzen und Workshops, Vorträge, Debatten und unzählige…→
- Universität der Künste Berlin [Translate to English:]Universität der Künste BerlinBerlin offers space for ideas and exchange. That makes the city interesting for the art scene.→
Prof. Nik Haffner
- Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-Buch [Translate to English:]Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-BuchThanks to the many cooperating research groups, Berlin is one of the best locations for neuroscientists. I love the open atmosphere here.→
Dr. Tatiana Korotkova
- Foto: ©DexLeChemThat is the great thing about Berlin: We have outstanding science and a great scientific start-up scene. The mix here works well!→
Brain City Ambassador Dipl.-Ing. Sonja Jost
- Universität der Künste Berlin [Translate to English:]Universität der Künste BerlinThe Brain City is a home for all scientists worldwide. Come home, and let us face future challenges together!→
Thomas Heinrich Musiolik
- Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer KulturbesitzStaatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer KulturbesitzScientists of the world, come to Berlin and do research at this library: the Berlin State Library!→
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinThis is what makes Berlin so unique for me as an entrepreneur: I can call upon scientific expertise for any issue that may arise.→
Prof. Christine Lang
- University of Europe for Applied Sciences ©Petyo BudakovUniversity of Europe for Applied SciencesBerlin challenges everyone to think about new topics. Or even to look at familiar topics in a new way. The German capital is a breeding ground for…→
Dr. Petyo Budakov
- Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin (HWR Berlin) Cem CzerwionkeHochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin (HWR Berlin)For me, Berlin is the most exciting city in Germany; the cultural diversity is unbeatable.→
Prof Dr Aysel Yollu-Tok
- FOM Hochschule für Oekonomie & Management [Translate to English:]FOM Hochschule für Oekonomie & ManagementAs the most diverse location for science in Germany, Berlin to me is definitely the place to be for collaboration in all disciplines.→
Prof. Dr. Astrid Nelke
- Technische Universität Berlin ©rudolf grillborzerTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin offers diversity and an action-oriented life style. This is also visible in the research activities due to bold actions that can be taken by…→
Dr.-Ing. Onur Günlü
- SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences © Chono ChibesakundaSRH Berlin University of Applied SciencesCreative impulses are very important for my research and that's exactly what we have here in Berlin: Berliners and international people doing cool…→
Prof. Dr. Brigitte Biehl
- Technische Universität Berlin ©Hassim PondorTechnische Universität BerlinMy advice for young people interested in studying in Berlin: Just go for it and keep discovering ...→
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin [Translate to English:]Humboldt-Universität zu BerlinThe quality of research in Berlin is outstanding. Not only is there room for large specialist fields, but also for small ones.→
Prof. Dr. Elke Greifeneder
- Max-Planck-Institut für Kolloid- und Grenzflächenforschung ©S. Eickelmann, Potsdam-SciencePark, 2019Max-Planck-Institut für Kolloid- und GrenzflächenforschungBerlin’s universities are of excellent quality and together with Potsdam they create a prosperous ground to develop ideas and grow. Berlin is the…→
Dr. Rodrigo Pérez-García
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin ©Paulus PonizakHumboldt-Universität zu BerlinBerlin needs critical spirits to continue to remain the attractive and vibrant city it has been. The university is just one place among many that make…→
Prof. Dr. Christine Bauhardt
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin ©Christine KurmeyerCharité - Universitätsmedizin BerlinBerlin is at the flashpoint of German history. And the Charité is the history of Berlin in a nutshell.→
Dr. Christine Kurmeyer
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinFor me, Berlin means inspiration and dialog, being part of the city as a scientist and having an effect on it.→
Dr. Maren Borkert
- Foto: Barbara HerrenkindBerlin is already the front runner in terms of equality among German university locations. About a third of the professorships are held by women, and…→
Brain City Ambassador Dr. Ursula Fuhrich-Grubert
- Hacking Health Berlin ©Akira-Sebastian PocetteHacking Health BerlinDoctors, patients, designers, programmers and entrepreneurs: join us on this exciting journey to shape the future of healthcare – from Berlin to the…→
Dr. Pablo-David Rojas
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is the city where mathematical research takes place and is presented to the public – the Science Slam, for example.→
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin, thank you for embracing my family so fairly, we are doing our best to contribute to your cultural, knowledge and social atmosphere.→
Dr. Cristina Fróes de Borja Reis
- Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society Franzi CagicAlexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and SocietyBerlin is open and a magnet that attracts brilliant researchers from all over the world.→
The freedom to conduct research here truly is unique!
- Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung - DIW © Deborah A. Bowen | DIW BerlinDeutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung - DIWBerlin, stay open, tolerant and interesting for creative people from all over the world - because science is made by them!→
Dr. Alexandra Fedorets
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin [Translate to English:]Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin„I think Berlin offers unique opportunities to people interested in interdisciplinary research.“→
Prof. Jesse Prinz
- Photo: Erik WiegardBerlin is unique. In its scientific landscape, the city brings together numerous experts and innovators from a wide variety of technology, social…→
- Berliner Hochschule für Technik [Translate to English:]Berliner Hochschule für TechnikIn additional to technology and mathematics, robotics requires social discourse for integrated research. Berlin offers top opportunities for this.→
Prof. Dr. Manfred Hild
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin offers great opportunities for research, study, teaching and innovation in modern optics and photonics. We invite you to take advantage of…→
Prof. Dr. Ulrike Woggon
- © KHSB/ Elisabeth SchoepeBerlin is an open, colourful city where social ideas and innovations grow and flourish. I am happy to contribute to this with my work.→
Brain City Ambassador Prof Dr Petra Mund
- Humboldt-Universität zu BerlinHumboldt-Universität zu BerlinBuilding bridges with Latin America will maximize the successful cooperation between science and emerging economies.→
Dr. Hannia Bridg
- Credit: HTW BerlinBerlin is international, multicultural, changeable and offers many research topics. Culture and nature can be reached quickly by bike.→
Brain City Ambassador Prof. Dr. Florian Koch
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin) © HTW Berlin | Alexander RentschHochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin)Berlin is a unique cultural and intellectual melting pot with global appeal and many top-class research institutions. In his view, the mix of the…→
Prof. Dr. Phil. Jürgen Radel
- Credit: Berlin Partner/ Fotostudio CharlottenburgIn social-ecological research, Berlin is a pacesetter for developments that can only be observed in other cities and regions with a time delay.→
Brain City Ambassador Dr. Ralph Richter
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin) [Translate to English:]Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin)The past and present of Berlin inspire interdisciplinarity.→
Prof. Dr. Regine Buchheim
- Berliner Hochschule für TechnikBerliner Hochschule für TechnikBerlin thinks outside the box. People are open to new ideas - ideal conditions for my research work.→
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Ivo Boblan
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin)Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin)In Berlin, innovative minds from business, science, politics and society come together in a dynamic setting.→
Prof. Dr. Stefanie Molthagen-Schnöring
- Technische Universität Berlin ©Annette KorollTechnische Universität BerlinThis is a great platform and I look forward to being part of it, as it is in the spirit of Berlin's increasingly international research site.→
Dr. Betiel Wasihun
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin) ©Dennis Meier-Schindler/HTW BerlinHochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin)In Berlin you have the opportunity to meet new people, discover new research topics, enter into new partnerships, and expand your own horizons every…→
Maria Anne Schmidt
- Foto: Ina SäumelBerlin is curious, uncomfortable, complex and diverse. The ideal location for transformation research.→
Brain City Ambassador Dr. Ina Säumel
- ESMT European School of Management and Technology [Translate to English:]ESMT European School of Management and TechnologyBerlin in its totality is extraordinary. There is youth, a strong intellectual community and an enormous energy.→
Prof. Dr. Tamer Boyaci
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin) privateHochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW Berlin) Katholische Hochschule für Sozialwesen Berlin (KHSB Berlin)Research in Berlin is research into contrasts. There are few cities that are closer to the zeitgeist.→
Prof Dr Kai Reinhardt
- SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences Technische Universität Berlin Photo: Nishant Jain privatSRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is open, welcoming and very international. That makes the city something special.→
Brain City Berlin Ambassador Nishant Jain
- Campus Berlin-Buch © Berlin PartnerCampus Berlin-BuchBerlin offers a unique research community of scientists and clinicians plus biotechnology companies.→
Brain City Ambassador Dr. Jens Peter von Kries
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is a young science capital – the international community comes here to exchange at various conferences and events.→
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin is already an internationally renowned tech hub. Universities and institutes need to leverage the closeness and spill-overs even more!→
Paul von Gruben
- Humboldt-Universität zu BerlinHumboldt-Universität zu BerlinIn Berlin you get an overview of all career options – from research in academia to working for research and development companies to entrepreneurship.…→
Dr. Sana Amairi Pyka
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt [Translate to English:]Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und RaumfahrtBerlin, my research laboratory for urban mobility, is exemplary on an international scale.→
Prof. Dr. Dirk Heinrichs
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin ©Jens NachtweiHumboldt-Universität zu BerlinTo have so many opportunities to collaborate in a single place is really very valuable. Conferences and congresses are constantly taking place in…→
- Freie Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Freie Universität BerlinBerlin is “the place to be” for mathematics. The cooperation among the scientific institutions here sets an example for the international community!→
Prof. Günter M. Ziegler
- Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-Buch [Translate to English:]Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-BuchBerliner Luft? With the finest content you can even track diseases at early stages.→
Dr. Leif Schröder
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is where innovations are made that go as far as outer space.→
Dipl.-Ing. Cem Avsar
- Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB)Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB)The scientific and academic environment in Berlin is just like the city itself: interesting, stimulating, and diverse.→
Prof. Dr. Thamy Pogrebinschi
- Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society ©WPN2030Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and SocietyThanks to several quite recently founded institutions, Berlin is a global hub for research into the digitalisation of the economy and society.→
Dr. Ali Aslan Gümüsay
- Berliner Hochschule für Technik ©Susanne PlaumannBerliner Hochschule für TechnikBerlin is diverse and, when we work together, almost everything seems possible to me. If I have an idea, I can quickly put it into action with others.→
Susanne Plaumann M. A.
- Freie Universität Berlin © Tim LandgrafFreie Universität BerlinI have my most important scientific research partners in Berlin. Especially in interdisciplinary projects it is important to work closely together.→
Prof. Dr. Tim Landgraf
- Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) ©BAMBundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM)Being a researcher in Berlin is amazing. Numerous great names in the history of science are closely associated with the city. I believe that Berlin is…→
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinLet’s tear down the walls of the disciplines to address radical inter- & transdisciplinary science!→
Dr. Antonella Radicchi
- BSP - Business and Law School Berlin [Translate to English:]BSP - Business and Law School BerlinBerlin is a great combination of contrasts: tradition and modernity, art and commerce, rural calm and exciting urban life.→
Prof. Dr. Rainer Zeichhardt
- Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin ©Nora HeinischAlice Salomon Hochschule BerlinBerlin has the most exciting academic landscape in Germany; it is great to work here. All major players in the healthcare system are represented in…→
Prof. Dr. Uwe Bettig
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin ©Andrew NewmanCharité - Universitätsmedizin BerlinSo much is happening, inside research and outside. It's so green and transport is fantastic. Berlin is both small and large. That's what I love about…→
Dr Andrew Newman
- VICTORIA International University of Applied Sciences ©Andreas Kühn, HG: © 4Max – stock.adobe.comVICTORIA International University of Applied SciencesThe city has many scientists and researchers, many of whom come from abroad. They all are helping to drive the economic success and reputation of the…→
Prof. Dr. Gabriele Mielke
- Boston University Center for New Music © Marco Giugliarelli for Civitella Ranieri Foundation, 2019Boston University Center for New MusicThe most special aspect of life in Berlin is the intensity and quality of human exchanges, both professional and personal.→
- Museum für Naturkunde Berlin ©Franziska SattlerMuseum für Naturkunde BerlinBerlin is international and open. The city has a wonderful network of many different institutions that offer great chances of cooperation. A lot of…→
- Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin ©Nora HeinischAlice Salomon Hochschule BerlinBerlin is exciting and versatile. The city offers the best opportunity for interdisciplinary collaborations.→
Prof. Dr. Gudrun Piechotta-Henze
- ESCP-Europe - Europäische Wirtschaftshochschule Berlin [Translate to English:]ESCP-Europe - Europäische Wirtschaftshochschule BerlinBerlin is lived interculturality. This makes the city an attractive and exciting science location for students from all over the world.→
Prof. Dr. Andreas M. Kaplan
- Katrin Neuhauser www.katrinneuhauser.deBerlin has a research landscape that is one of a kind in Germany, in terms of content, disciplines, and institutions. The city is also very well…→
Brain City Ambassador Prof Dr. Sabine Hark
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is the perfect place for scientists to combine an excellent scientific environment with family life.→
Prof. Dr. Giuseppe Caire
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinHaving everything that's needed for an excellent research in one place, is usually a dream, then Berlin must be a dream.→
Dr. Ewa Nowicka
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin offers a huge network of players in the IT field and is an ideal platform for collaboration in development and intercultural dialog.→
Dr. Nazir Peroz