©Andreas Kühn, HG: © 4Max – stock.adobe.com23.10.2019
Prof. Dr. Gabriele Mielke | Hochschule für Wirtschaft, Technik und Kultur (hwtk)
Professor Gabriele Mielke has been a professor of business administration at hwtk University of Applied Sciences in Berlin since 2012. She heads the school's master's program in business management and development. In the business administration bachelor's degree program, she is also responsible for the specializations in sports management and event, trade fair, and convention management. The former professional athlete has been Vice President of hwtk since April 2017.
Brain City Berlin: How would you describe your research focus?
Mielke: My main research interests are sports management and sports economics. I mainly focus on evidence-based research into the impact of events and the evaluation of sports-related measures. Also, the economic analysis of sports and sports marketing, especially team sports, are among my priorities. Also empirical market research as the basis of strategic management decisions to reflect increasing internationalization and digitization.
Brain City Berlin: What is the most exciting aspect of your research?
Mielke: The most exciting aspects are the international relevance due to the global interest in the research as well as the concrete relevance of the knowledge transfer. Sports management and economics is not some ivory tower field of research.
Brain City Berlin: What do you like about living in Berlin?
Mielke: The special quality of life in a cosmopolitan, multicultural, and vibrant city. The city of Berlin also enjoys an excellent reputation both nationally and internationally, also in research and science. As a sports metropolis, Berlin offers me ideal conditions for my professional development and research as well as for a suitable work-life balance.
Brain City Berlin: Which partnerships help your research?
Mielke: I have been able to create a remarkable national and international network of scientists, entrepreneurs, and practitioners. My research therefore benefits from numerous national and international research collaborations in science and practice, in Asia, South America, the USA, and Europe.
The city has many scientists and researchers, many of whom come from abroad. They all are helping to drive the economic success and reputation of the city. Being international is therefore a part of Berlin's self-image.
Brain City Berlin: What are the advantages of Berlin in comparison to other research locations?
Mielke: In no other city in Germany are there as many academic institutions as in Berlin. It is also clearly an advantage that the city is so diverse. The city has many scientists and researchers, many of whom come from abroad. They all are helping to drive the economic success and reputation of the city. Being international is therefore a part of Berlin's self-image.
Brain City Berlin: What is your advice to young people who are interested in studying in Berlin?
Mielke: To choose a program that suits your own interests and is practical. In Berlin you can find excellent academic opportunities at universities as well as attractive and practical degree programs at colleges and private universities such as the hwtk University of Applied Sciences. In many programs, theory and practice are closely interlinked, which greatly facilitates the later start into professional life.
Brain City Berlin: What kind of development would you like to see in the city?
Mielke: That Berlin continues to see research and development as a source of inspiration for an innovative economy and understands itself as a Smart City in order to improve the quality of life through innovation and technical progress.
Brain City Berlin: What do you wish for the future of the Berlin sciences?
Mielke: Science should continue to move Berlin and be understood as an important source of inspiration for the future of Berlin. My wish would be for research institutions and networks to network even more closely with researchers and academics from private universities.
Brain City Berlin: What message would you like to send to Brain City Berlin?
Mielke: I like serving as an ambassador for the Brain City and the sports metropolis Berlin and to strengthen the development and reputation of the city in a future-oriented way.
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin offers a huge network of players in the IT field and is an ideal platform for collaboration in development and intercultural dialog.→
Dr. Nazir Peroz
- Ägyptisches Museum und Papyrussammlung ©Geza AndoÄgyptisches Museum und PapyrussammlungDie unglaublich große und farbenfrohe Museumsszene, die vielen Vernissagen und Finissagen, Konferenzen und Workshops, Vorträge, Debatten und unzählige...→
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinFor me, Berlin means inspiration and dialog, being part of the city as a scientist and having an effect on it.→
Dr. Maren Borkert
- Boston University Center for New Music © Marco Giugliarelli for Civitella Ranieri Foundation, 2019Boston University Center for New MusicThe most special aspect of life in Berlin is the intensity and quality of human exchanges, both professional and personal.→
- Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-Buch [Translate to English:]Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-BuchThanks to the many cooperating research groups, Berlin is one of the best locations for neuroscientists. I love the open atmosphere here.→
Dr. Tatiana Korotkova
- Technische Universität Berlin ©rudolf grillborzerTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin offers diversity and an action-oriented life style. This is also visible in the research activities due to bold actions that can be taken by...→
Dr.-Ing. Onur Günlü
- Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society ©WPN2030Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and SocietyThanks to several quite recently founded institutions, Berlin is a global hub for research into the digitalisation of the economy and society.→
Dr. Ali Aslan Gümüsay
- ESMT European School of Management and Technology [Translate to English:]ESMT European School of Management and TechnologyBerlin in its totality is extraordinary. There is youth, a strong intellectual community and an enormous energy.→
Prof. Dr. Tamer Boyaci
- Museum für Naturkunde Berlin ©Franziska SattlerMuseum für Naturkunde BerlinBerlin is international and open. The city has a wonderful network of many different institutions that offer great chances of cooperation. A lot of...→
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin ©Jens NachtweiHumboldt-Universität zu BerlinTo have so many opportunities to collaborate in a single place is really very valuable. Conferences and congresses are constantly taking place in...→
- SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences © Chono ChibesakundaSRH Berlin University of Applied SciencesCreative impulses are very important for my research and that's exactly what we have here in Berlin: Berliners and international people doing cool...→
Prof. Dr. Brigitte Biehl
- Evangelische Hochschule Berlin © Rufus LaneEvangelische Hochschule BerlinThe density of the scientific locations in Berlin and also the networking within European networks brings a lively and dynamic element into research.→
Prof. Dr. Julia Leinweber
- Freie Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Freie Universität BerlinBerlin is “the place to be” for mathematics. The cooperation among the scientific institutions here sets an example for the international community!→
Prof. Günter M. Ziegler
- LifeGlimmer GmbH ©Christopher HardtLifeGlimmer GmbHIn Berlin, you can find an excellent mix of small and medium-sized research companies, as well as large firms, scientific institutes, universities and...→
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW) ©Dennis Meier-Schindler/HTW BerlinHochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW)In Berlin you have the opportunity to meet new people, discover new research topics, enter into new partnerships, and expand your own horizons every...→
Maria Anne Schmidt
- Beuth-Hochschule für Technik BerlinBeuth-Hochschule für Technik BerlinBerlin thinks outside the box. People are open to new ideas - ideal conditions for my research work.→
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Ivo Boblan
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW) © HTW Berlin | Alexander RentschHochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW)Berlin is a unique cultural and intellectual melting pot with global appeal and many top-class research institutions. In his view, the mix of the...→
Prof. Dr. Phil. Jürgen Radel
- Touro College BerlinTouro College BerlinSocial research is just as creative as Berlin!→
Prof. Özen Odağ
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is the city where mathematical research takes place and is presented to the public – the Science Slam, for example.→
- Leibniz-Institut für Kristallzüchtung [Translate to English:]Leibniz-Institut für KristallzüchtungBerlin is the capital of scientific potential.→
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Matthias Bickermann
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin [Translate to English:]Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin„I think Berlin offers unique opportunities to people interested in interdisciplinary research.“→
Prof. Jesse Prinz
- Technische Universität Berlin ©Annette KorollTechnische Universität BerlinThis is a great platform and I look forward to being part of it, as it is in the spirit of Berlin's increasingly international research site.→
Dr. Betiel Wasihun
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin [Translate to English:]Humboldt-Universität zu BerlinThe excellent research environment in Berlin motivates me. It inspires me to work in collaboration with a variety of institutions.→
Prof. Dr. Jule Specht
- Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung - DIW © Deborah A. Bowen | DIW BerlinDeutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung - DIWBerlin, stay open, tolerant and interesting for creative people from all over the world - because science is made by them!→
Dr. Alexandra Fedorets
- Humboldt-Universität zu BerlinHumboldt-Universität zu BerlinIn Berlin you get an overview of all career options – from research in academia to working for research and development companies to entrepreneurship....→
Dr. Sana Amairi Pyka
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is where innovations are made that go as far as outer space.→
Dipl.-Ing. Cem Avsar
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinLet’s tear down the walls of the disciplines to address radical inter- & transdisciplinary science!→
Dr. Antonella Radicchi
- Freie Universität Berlin Olga Makarova CC BY 4.0Freie Universität BerlinThe best part about living and working in Berlin is the sheer number of options available, both professionally and culturally.“→
Dr. Olga Makarova
- Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB)Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB)The scientific and academic environment in Berlin is just like the city itself: interesting, stimulating, and diverse.→
Prof. Dr. Thamy Pogrebinschi
- Universität der Künste Berlin [Translate to English:]Universität der Künste BerlinThe Brain City is a home for all scientists worldwide. Come home, and let us face future challenges together!→
Thomas Heinrich Musiolik
- Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) ©BAMBundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM)Being a researcher in Berlin is amazing. Numerous great names in the history of science are closely associated with the city. I believe that Berlin is...→
- Beuth-Hochschule für Technik Berlin ©Susanne PlaumannBeuth-Hochschule für Technik BerlinBerlin is diverse and, when we work together, almost everything seems possible to me. If I have an idea, I can quickly put it into action with others.→
Susanne Plaumann M. A.
- Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin ©Nora HeinischAlice Salomon Hochschule BerlinBerlin has the most exciting academic landscape in Germany; it is great to work here. All major players in the healthcare system are represented in...→
Prof. Dr. Uwe Bettig
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin, thank you for embracing my family so fairly, we are doing our best to contribute to your cultural, knowledge and social atmosphere.→
Dr. Cristina Fróes de Borja Reis
- BSP - Business School Berlin [Translate to English:]BSP - Business School BerlinBerlin is a great combination of contrasts: tradition and modernity, art and commerce, rural calm and exciting urban life.→
Prof. Dr. Rainer Zeichhardt
- International School of Management (ISM) Berlin ©Hendrik RauchInternational School of Management (ISM) BerlinThe city is a hotspot for new talents and leadership personalities in established organisations, whose interfaces can turn creative potential into...→
Prof. Dr. René Sadowski
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin is already an internationally renowned tech hub. Universities and institutes need to leverage the closeness and spill-overs even more!→
Paul von Gruben
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is the perfect place for scientists to combine an excellent scientific environment with family life.→
Prof. Dr. Giuseppe Caire
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin ©Andrew NewmanCharité - Universitätsmedizin BerlinSo much is happening, inside research and outside. It's so green and transport is fantastic. Berlin is both small and large. That's what I love about...→
Dr Andrew Newman
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin [Translate to English:] Philipp JesterCharité - Universitätsmedizin BerlinBerlin's research landscape is characterized by change and progress. There is a unique energy here.→
Prof. Dr. Christian Drosten
- Technische Universität Berlin ©Hassim PondorTechnische Universität BerlinMy advice for young people interested in studying in Berlin: Just go for it and keep discovering ...→
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin offers great opportunities for research, study, teaching and innovation in modern optics and photonics. We invite you to take advantage of...→
Prof. Dr. Ulrike Woggon
- FOM Hochschule für Oekonomie & Management [Translate to English:]FOM Hochschule für Oekonomie & ManagementAs the most diverse location for science in Germany, Berlin to me is definitely the place to be for collaboration in all disciplines.→
Prof. Dr. Astrid Nelke
- Technische Universität Berlin © Obiri-Yeboah MensahTechnische Universität BerlinOnce a Berliner always a Berliner. The vibrant City of Berlin has a lot to offer the world in terms of high quality research programs and...→
- Touro College BerlinTouro College BerlinI wholeheartedly support the efforts to include a wider variety of researchers and institutions in the Brain City Berlin.→
Prof. Larisa Buhin, Ph.D.
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW)Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW)In Berlin, innovative minds from business, science, politics and society come together in a dynamic setting.→
Prof. Dr. Stefanie Molthagen-Schnöring
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinThis is what makes Berlin so unique for me as an entrepreneur: I can call upon scientific expertise for any issue that may arise.→
Prof. Christine Lang
- Freie Universität Berlin © Tim LandgrafFreie Universität BerlinI have my most important scientific research partners in Berlin. Especially in interdisciplinary projects it is important to work closely together.→
Prof. Dr. Tim Landgraf
- Dekra Hochschule für Medien ©Petyo BudakovDekra Hochschule für MedienBerlin challenges everyone to think about new topics. Or even to look at familiar topics in a new way. The German capital is a breeding ground for...→
Dr. Petyo Budakov
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt [Translate to English:]Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und RaumfahrtBerlin, my research laboratory for urban mobility, is exemplary on an international scale.→
Prof. Dr. Dirk Heinrichs
- SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences [Translate to English:]SRH Berlin University of Applied SciencesBerlin is diversity. What the city can offer and also its internationality make Berlin exciting for scientists from all over the world.→
Prof. Dr. Anabel Ternès
- Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin (HWR) [Translate to English:]Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin (HWR)Berlin’s dynamic environment provides me with everything I need to work successfully: committed students and companies that are eager to cooperate.→
Prof. Dr. Birgit Felden
- Humboldt-Universität zu BerlinHumboldt-Universität zu BerlinBuilding bridges with Latin America will maximize the successful cooperation between science and emerging economies.→
Dr. Hannia Bridg
- Universität der Künste Berlin [Translate to English:]Universität der Künste BerlinBerlin offers space for ideas and exchange. That makes the city interesting for the art scene.→
Prof. Nik Haffner
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin ©Dr. Aderajew WakaCharité - Universitätsmedizin BerlinBerlin is a very dynamic city as well as a university city. I am very thankful for being able to do research in Berlin because the scientific...→
Dr. Aderajew Waka
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin: an explosive mix of scientific and technological competence with a young startup scene. One of a kind.→
Dr.-Ing. Alexander Willner
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is a young science capital – the international community comes here to exchange at various conferences and events.→
- ESCP-Europe - Europäische Wirtschaftshochschule Berlin [Translate to English:]ESCP-Europe - Europäische Wirtschaftshochschule BerlinBerlin is lived interculturality. This makes the city an attractive and exciting science location for students from all over the world.→
Prof. Dr. Andreas M. Kaplan
- Max-Planck-Institut für Kolloid- und Grenzflächenforschung ©S. Eickelmann, Potsdam-SciencePark, 2019Max-Planck-Institut für Kolloid- und GrenzflächenforschungBerlin’s universities are of excellent quality and together with Potsdam they create a prosperous ground to develop ideas and grow. Berlin is the...→
Dr. Rodrigo Pérez-García
- Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin © IFAF Berlin/Christian PérezAlice Salomon Hochschule BerlinThe cooperation between different actors of knowledge production in research, civil rights movements, and activism is stimulating and enriching.→
Prof. Dr. Iman Attia
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin ©Christine KurmeyerCharité - Universitätsmedizin BerlinBerlin is at the flashpoint of German history. And the Charité is the history of Berlin in a nutshell.→
Dr. Christine Kurmeyer
- Beuth-Hochschule für Technik Berlin [Translate to English:]Beuth-Hochschule für Technik BerlinIn additional to technology and mathematics, robotics requires social discourse for integrated research. Berlin offers top opportunities for this.→
Prof. Dr. Manfred Hild
- Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-Buch [Translate to English:]Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-BuchBerliner Luft? With the finest content you can even track diseases at early stages.→
Dr. Leif Schröder
- Hacking Health Berlin ©Akira-Sebastian PocetteHacking Health BerlinDoctors, patients, designers, programmers and entrepreneurs: join us on this exciting journey to shape the future of healthcare – from Berlin to the...→
Dr. Pablo-David Rojas
- Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-Buch [Translate to English:]Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie, Campus Berlin-BuchA unique link between basic research and clinical research involving biotechnology companies from various locations.→
Dr. Jens Peter von Kries
- Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer KulturbesitzStaatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer KulturbesitzScientists of the world, come to Berlin and do research at this library: the Berlin State Library!→
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin [Translate to English:]Humboldt-Universität zu BerlinThe quality of research in Berlin is outstanding. Not only is there room for large specialist fields, but also for small ones.→
Prof. Dr. Elke Greifeneder
- Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW) [Translate to English:]Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin (HTW)The past and present of Berlin inspire interdisciplinarity.→
Prof. Dr. Regine Buchheim
- Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin ©Nora HeinischAlice Salomon Hochschule BerlinBerlin is exciting and versatile. The city offers the best opportunity for interdisciplinary collaborations.→
Prof. Dr. Gudrun Piechotta-Henze
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinHaving everything that's needed for an excellent research in one place, is usually a dream, then Berlin must be a dream.→
Dr. Ewa Nowicka
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin ©Paulus PonizakHumboldt-Universität zu BerlinBerlin needs critical spirits to continue to remain the attractive and vibrant city it has been. The university is just one place among many that make...→
Prof. Dr. Christine Bauhardt