Hassim Pondor, Technische Universität Berlin Africa Alumni Club
Brain City ambassador Hassim Pondor studied chemical engineering at Technische Universität Berlin. In 1989 he witnessed the fall oft the Berlin Wall as a DAAD scholarship holder. Today he not only runs his own company in Mauritius, but with support of the TU Berlin Alumni Programme he is also President of the Alumni Club of TU Berlin in Africa.
Hassim Pondor lived in Berlin during the days of the wall, when the city was still an an island surrounded by the former GDR. With a full DAAD-scholarship he studied process engineering at the Technical University of Berlin and graduated with a major in technical chemistry. „These were the golden days of the 'Szene' despite the usual hardship associated with the special status of Berlin. Also, I had the once in a lifetime opportunity of witnessing the opening of the wall during the cold war period.“ To this day he keeps in touch with friends he met in Germany during that time.
For him, Berlin has become one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world and a centre of Europe, even though the European Parliament is based in Brussels: „What has not changed is that the key driver around living and working in Berlin is linked to the word 'Multi' … in all facets of life, be it cultural, lingual, experience and connectivity“.
My advice for young people interested in studying in Berlin: Just go for it and keep discovering ...
Today he works as a strategy consultant in Mauritius and is founder and Managing Partner of Trans Africa Services. At the same time, with the support of the Technical University Berlin Alumni Programme, he is President of the Alumni Club of TU Berlin in Africa, which has been officially registered in Mauritius since the beginning of 2019. This is very much in line with the 2018 launched program "TU Berlin Around the World –Designing the Future of our International Alumni Clubs". „TUB – AAA is the first continentwide club with to date some 30 registered members from across Africa in academia, high level professionals and businessmen. This is a platform that brings together African alumni working on the continent and also aim at supporting German institutions, companies and start-ups looking into development across multiple sectors in Africa. The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in particular SDG 17 'Partnership' and the African Union (AU) 2063 agenda are pivotal for this engagement."
He says about Berlin: „In the eyes of most Africans, Berlin has always been the capital notwithstanding the fact that from the end of the second world war to early 1990s, Bonn was the provisional capital.
Nowadays, with the Berlin University Alliance Berlin hosts the first and only consortium with excellence status in Germany. This alone is a unique selling point to African scholars and academic institutions.”
Currently he is working on the first Strategy & Sustainable Development workshop in 2020 in Nairobi, Kenya that the the TUB – AAA is planning. “We would welcome German institutions and companies to technically and financially support our aim.”
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinOnce a Berliner always a Berliner. The vibrant City of Berlin has a lot to offer the world in terms of high quality research programs and...→
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinThis is a great platform and I look forward to being part of it, as it is in the spirit of Berlin's increasingly international research site.→
Dr. Betiel Wasihun
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin is already an internationally renowned tech hub. Universities and institutes need to leverage the closeness and spill-overs even more!→
Paul von Gruben
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinLet’s tear down the walls of the disciplines to address radical inter- & transdisciplinary science!→
Dr. Antonella Radicchi
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin, thank you for embracing my family so fairly, we are doing our best to contribute to your cultural, knowledge and social atmosphere.→
Dr. Cristina Fróes de Borja Reis
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinHaving everything that's needed for an excellent research in one place, is usually a dream, then Berlin must be a dream.→
Dr. Ewa Nowicka
- Technische Universität BerlinTechnische Universität BerlinBerlin: an explosive mix of scientific and technological competence with a young startup scene. One of a kind.→
Dr.-Ing. Alexander Willner
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin offers a huge network of players in the IT field and is an ideal platform for collaboration in development and intercultural dialog.→
Dr. Nazir Peroz
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinFor me, Berlin means inspiration and dialog, being part of the city as a scientist and having an effect on it.→
Dr. Maren Borkert
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin offers great opportunities for research, study, teaching and innovation in modern optics and photonics. We invite you to take advantage of...→
Prof. Dr. Ulrike Woggon
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is where innovations are made that go as far as outer space.→
Dipl.-Ing. Cem Avsar
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is a young science capital – the international community comes here to exchange at various conferences and events.→
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is the city where mathematical research takes place and is presented to the public – the Science Slam, for example.→
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinBerlin is the perfect place for scientists to combine an excellent scientific environment with family life.→
Prof. Dr. Giuseppe Caire
- Technische Universität Berlin [Translate to English:]Technische Universität BerlinThis is what makes Berlin so unique for me as an entrepreneur: I can call upon scientific expertise for any issue that may arise.→
Prof. Christine Lang